Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The use of the term "Rare"

2 posters

Go down

The use of the term "Rare" Empty The use of the term "Rare"

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I was wondering what the opinion of the board members are on the over use of the term "rare". It turns up the most when describing T206 backs that to me could be termed tough or scarce and not "rare". I am sure there are cards in other sets that the term "rare" is an exaggeration.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
The use of the term "Rare" Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100The use of the term "Rare" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

The use of the term "Rare" Empty Re: The use of the term "Rare"

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Rare is pretty meaningless to me. It's been so overused that when it is used properly, it just doesn't carry the same impact anymore. Perfect example is the Oingo Boingo album I asked about elsewhere. I don't know if it is rare or not. It could have just been a typo that was never corrected. So until I see a corrected version, I'll be skeptical that my album is rare.

People that use that term are basically hoping that they can lure someone who isn't so knowledgeable into bidding more than what the item normally sells for. Basically, I'm a cynic and that's why focus groups love me. They can get insight into that small percentage of people that aren't swayed hype and hyperbole. Latest focus group I did was for yogurt. Got paid $50 to taste test yogurt for 30 minutes. To bad I can't get that kind of work every day.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
The use of the term "Rare" Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100The use of the term "Rare" Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down