Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On the move...to the DR

+7
crazylocomerk
terjung
cccc
pro9
Square_Frame_Ramly
TheRiddler
fisherboy7
11 posters

Go down

On the move...to the DR Empty On the move...to the DR

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Hey Guys, just a quick personal update. I've accepted a teaching position at an international school in the Dominican Republic and will be relocating there this weekend. I'm teaching world history and music to elementary/middle school students for the next 10 months (with option to renew). Very excited about it!

With that said, I don't plan on taking my collection with me, so my card activity will be minimal. I'll still be around on the board and will have internet/email access like normal.

Anyone have experiences in the Dominican Republic, specifically in the northern coast Sosua/Cabarete area?

wave
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

On the move...to the DR Empty Re: On the move...to the DR

Post by TheRiddler Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Congrats!
Good luck, Enjoy !
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

On the move...to the DR Empty Wow...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

that's great....you will love the weather down there. At least we will now have a fighting chance on Ebay/auction houses since you won't be bidding. Razz

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:33 am

See you in December!

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:56 pm

sick...i wanna do something like that! very jealous and gl ben.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:48 am

Good luck, Ben. Hey if you need spending money down there, my offer on the Voskamp still stands! Very Happy

Make sure to experience the culture and take lots of pictures! We'd love to see them.
Oh, and try to take care of yourself while you are there too. We'd like you back in one piece.

Take care
Brian
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:26 am

What an awesome experience. Good luck with everything Ben, and be safe.

Sometimes it's good to take a little break away from the norm.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Just to update a year later....I'm signed on for a second year at the international school. Still teaching music and world history. Got down here last friday and school starts this coming tuesday! I pinch myself in disbelief almost on a daily basis that people are actually paying me to live here and do my job. It's a great life.

With that said, once school starts I probably won't be quite as active on the forum or in collecting as I was this summer. But I'll be around. I'm sure you all will keep things chugging along as usual righton
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:19 pm

Wow, i can't believe how this year has flown by.

Hope you have another great year....my kids go back to school in a week.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Ben...I'm jealous! I'm starting to feel the grind after almost 4 years living in NYC but I have commitments here that mean I won't be leaving anytime very soon. So have a great year for all of us!
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:58 pm

hey ben,

do you have or is your gf coming with you? it's so nice sometimes when you don't have a family/kid and be able to just branch out and do anything you like.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Wow Ben...can't believe it's been a year. Enjoy the next one in the DR and we'll see you around.

rholmes wrote:Ben...I'm jealous! I'm starting to feel the grind after almost 4 years living in NYC but I have commitments here that mean I won't be leaving anytime very soon. So have a great year for all of us!

And I feel you Ray. Not quite NYC here (Central NJ), but I too am feeling the grind after 5 1/2 years out here. I'm so ready to move, but being that I have so much negative equity in my house, and that jobs in my field are so scarce....I have a feeling I'll be out here a few more years. But I'm already dreaming of my next move.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rholmes Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:35 pm

At least I get to go to Puerto Rico next week for some relief, Eric! We're for sure going to try the restaurant that you recommended...can't wait.
rholmes
rholmes
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Congrats, Ben! Love that part of the world (Cuba is my fave).

Do you go to many live baseball games there?

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:19 am

Glad it's worked out for you! If you spot the next Sammy Sosa or Manny Ramirez, let me know and I'll pick up his card for you Wink. Enjoy the DR...
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Comisky Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:06 am

Hi ben

Good luck with everything! I think you and I are about the same age, 28, and I couldn't imagine living in another country.

You da man! If your ever in San Diego let me know and we could get a beer or two!

Jeff
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
On the move...to the DR Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100On the move...to the DR Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's great to be back here. Waves is pretty low right now, but hopefully surf's up this weekend. Some really quality surfing on the north coast of the island. I'm still a bit of a noob as the learning curve is very steep, but I finally started getting comfortable on the board by the end of last year.

Blair - haven't had a chance to see any Dominican baseball yet, but it's definitely on my list for this year. I know alot of major leaguers come to play winter league ball here (Liriano did last year). It's amazing how many great Dominican ball players there are in the majors now. I think I counted 15 in the all star game this year?

Jeff - we're close. I'm 29 Smile

If anyone comes to the DR for vacation, just drop me a line - I'd be happy to give some suggestions on where to visit and outdoorsy trips to do. It's an exquisitely beautiful country.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down