Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fill in the __________

+7
Bicem
cccc
bowlingshoeguy
fisherboy7
3-2-count
Square_Frame_Ramly
terjung
11 posters

Go down

Fill in the __________ Empty Fill in the __________

Post by terjung Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Fill in the __________ with a prewar set (or several) and briefly explain why.

Given their scarcity, I am surprised that __________ aren't valued higher than they are.

I have a set or two that I would put in that blank, but I want to see what others think are "undervalued" from a scarcity standpoint.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Fill in the __________ Empty Re: Fill in the __________

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:34 pm

Given their scarcity, I am surprised that _E103 set_ aren't valued higher than they are.

I would bet its the same as any set since the economy is in the dumps!!!

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Given their scarcity, I am surprised that cards from the (T-214 Victory Tobacco set) aren't valued higher than they are.

I know their scarcity alone probably hurts them more than anything, but shouldn't this make them more valuable.
There are many other sets rarer than T214's that hold their value because of the scarcity factor.
Why no love for the Victory's? scratch
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:24 pm

I actually think the E103 set is somewhat overvalued. They are tough cards, but tough enough to merit $4-500 for VG commons? I'm not so sure. There was a time when E103's were undervalued, and that was probably 6-7 years ago. I've seen some obscene prices on E103's over the past few years.

T214 Victory's are very scarce, but also quite expensive. I'd probably call them more underappreciated than undervalued. When they come to market they sell for big bucks, no?

Since I'm finished trashing everyone else's picks, it's time for mine Razz

Given their scarcity, I am surprised that V89 William Patersons aren't valued higher than they are. They are barely discussed and seldomly show up for sale, but it's a beautiful, scarce set that deserves more attention imo. Tons of neat poses that are unique to the set as well, including several horizontals.

Fill in the __________ V89

Nice topic Brian.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Given their scarcity, I am surprised that T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps aren't valued higher than they are.

Fill in the __________ T330wa11

The value of these has definately gone up in the last few years, but given the condition sensitive issue and the lack of them up for sale, I definately think this set is under valued.

I think sometimes the scarcity hurts the value because alot of people are unaware of them because they are rarely offered for sale.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:31 pm

i feel t204s are undervalued...prolly a little too scarce for most collectors to notice/collect. still a "major" known set (not regional or tough type sets w/incomplete checklists) with lots of hof'ers with a unique design.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:25 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:

I think sometimes the scarcity hurts the value because alot of people are unaware of them because they are rarely offered for sale.

Lee

plus, they look like stamps.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Bicem wrote:
bowlingshoeguy wrote:

Lee

plus, they are stamps.
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:03 pm

3-2-count wrote:Given their scarcity, I am surprised that cards from the (T-214 Victory Tobacco set) aren't valued higher than they are.

I know their scarcity alone probably hurts them more than anything, but shouldn't this make them more valuable.
There are many other sets rarer than T214's that hold their value because of the scarcity factor.
Why no love for the Victory's? scratch

Red Portrait Cobb with Ty Cobb back = 12 known
Red Portrait Cobb with Victory back = 2 known

scratch
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:07 am

I still would love to know how the Piedmont Art Stamps were distributed.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by phlflyer1 Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:32 pm

rman444 wrote:
Bicem wrote:
bowlingshoeguy wrote:

Lee

plus, they are stamps.

They are what we thought they were!

phlflyer1
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:18 pm

I have never seen one in person. How big are those stamps anyway?
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:52 pm

The dimensions are 1 1/2 X 2 5/8ths, pretty close to the standard T card.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:25 pm

I had never heard of the V89 William Paterson set prior to you bringing it up, Ben. Thank you for doing so. That was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Scanning through the checklist, V89 has quite a few (13, in fact) HOFers that aren't covered by my E107/Goudey quest. Hmmm....
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 pm

... just lost a long post.

Abbreviating my long windedness...

Given its scarcity, I am surprised that the T207 set doesn't get more love than it does. SGC shows pop reports of less than 10 for most of the issues. I guess people love purple backgrounds far more than brown.

To a different scarcity question, I am surprised the 1914 and 1915 similar-posed Cracker Jacks are so similarly priced given the card stock differences and the condition scarcity of the '14 set. Obviously, the Matty in '14 is an exception due to the different pose, but why wouldn't the other issues be similarly different in price? I guess the demand is more for the image than the year. This thread was intended to be more about true scarcity than condition scarcity, but I figured I would throw that in for no extra charge.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Fill in the __________ Empty Wm Paterson's

Post by the-illini Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 pm

Love to see the Wm Paterson's getting some love! One of my favorite sets and quite undervalued given their availability IMO...

Here are a few of mine

Fill in the __________ Wmpate10 Fill in the __________ V8910
Fill in the __________ Frisch10Fill in the __________ Wmpate12
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Stunning cards Chris, that Frisch is Shocked That's like a 9 bunny card you got there. Patersons are the coolest - the Mcgraw is my personal favorite, showing him in his manager's suit/hat, knee up in the dugout. Is the Meusel the only horizontal in the set?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:36 am

From the few cards I've seen of the set, it is definitely among the best for picture selection.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:33 am

Damn, that Frisch and Jackson look alot alike and seem to have similar swings from different sides of the plate.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Does the waite Hoyt card actually picture Herb Penock? I ask because the Hoyt name is crossed off and Penock written in.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:21 pm

bowlingshoeguy wrote:Damn, that Frisch and Jackson look alot alike and seem to have similar swings from different sides of the plate.

Lee

Completely agree. I think it is the same person (not sure who). The swing, the stance, the socks, the gate behind him all point to it being the same guy. Perhaps he was a switch hitter and swung from the other side for the second pic? I haven't checked to see if either of those two fellas was a switch hitter, but that is my guess.

Brian
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by the-illini Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:25 pm

I think its just a coincidence and that the photographer likely got those pics on the same day. Here is a close-up of Jackson:

Fill in the __________ Image010 Fill in the __________ V8911

The v89 Frisch is pretty recognizable as Frank Frisch IMO.
the-illini
the-illini
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Fill in the __________ Left_bar_bleue11 / 10011 / 100Fill in the __________ Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/crb972

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down