Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What alterations are OK

+4
oaks1912
Bicem
cmoking
sabrjay
8 posters

Go down

Are alterations OK?

What alterations are OK Vote_lcap15%What alterations are OK Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 3 ]
What alterations are OK Vote_lcap45%What alterations are OK Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 9 ]
What alterations are OK Vote_lcap15%What alterations are OK Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 3 ]
What alterations are OK Vote_lcap0%What alterations are OK Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What alterations are OK Vote_lcap0%What alterations are OK Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What alterations are OK Vote_lcap25%What alterations are OK Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 20

What alterations are OK Empty What alterations are OK

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 1:20 am

My post in another got me to come up with one and should interesting. Your voting is anonymous, so you don't need to worry about anyone being able to figure who voted what way.

Personally, I'm in the camp that undisclosed alterations are not good, no matter how minor. The one thing that I would to see SGC do, and they already have in place with their comic book division, is different colored flips for altered and unaltered cards and notes as to what alterations were done.

Personally, I like Dan's idea best, an Authentic Unaltered AU and Authentic Altered AA grade and that's it. But it would mean the end of the set registry and the money that is made from that.

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Mon May 18, 2009 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

What alterations are OK Empty Re: What alterations are OK

Post by cmoking Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 am

sabrjay wrote:

Personally, I like Dan's idea best, an Authentic Unaltered AU and Authentic Altered AA grade and that's it. But it would mean the end of the set registry and the money that is made from that.

Why can't we both have what we want? You guys can just assume any number on a card is AU, and ignore the numbers that other people might care about. I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 1:31 am

Just call us crotchety old school guys geezer

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Mon May 18, 2009 1:42 am

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with how you want to view the grading of cards, that's up to you. But I just see that the current system allows for more information than you want, and you could simply just dismiss the "extra bullshit" information that you don't need. The only difference would be the lettering/numbering on a piece of paper in between the plastic. So I'm saying we can all be happy, right?

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Mon May 18, 2009 1:46 am

cmoking wrote:Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with how you want to view the grading of cards, that's up to you. But I just see that the current system allows for more information than you want, and you could simply just dismiss the "extra bullshit" information that you don't need. The only difference would be the lettering/numbering on a piece of paper in between the plastic. So I'm saying we can all be happy, right?

yes
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 2:24 am

King, most definitely. When I look at a slabbed card, it isn't the number on the slab I look at, it's the card itself. The current system is OK. I'd just rather see the two color label system like they use for comics.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 am

Back to the original topic of the post: what about wax stains (as opposed to caramel stains)? I have no problem with removing a wax stain without chemicals, but wondering what others think.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 3:06 am

I have to admit that I've removed wax from a card before. I found the best way was to use a nylon and gently rub in a circular motion. I guess if it's a gob of something, wax, tobacco or whatever I don't have an issue with it being removed without being mentioned.

Removing creases or materially changing the physical appearance of the card, such removing creases or adding color, that is a big no-no.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

What alterations are OK Empty Wax removal

Post by oaks1912 Mon May 18, 2009 6:52 am

Jay...There is absolutely nothing wrong with removing wax residue from baseball cards. I've found that panty hose work great. Just make sure that your wife or girlfriend isn't wearing them at the time. One way or another, the card will likely get creased... Very Happy

oaks1912
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Mon May 18, 2009 8:44 pm

The problems with the numbers on the slabs is that they are completely subjective and have caused cards with high numbers to be grossly overpaid for.

Of course my suggestion isn't perfect either, I watched a guy pop an altered trimmed 1960's Topps card out of a PSA holder and resubmit it and it came back as a 9. He was singing and jumping up and down and all I could say was: "God I love grading".
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 pm

Mark, I think you are the one that taught me the pantyhose trick with wax stains.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Mon May 18, 2009 10:25 pm

r337man wrote:The problems with the numbers on the slabs is that they are completely subjective and have caused cards with high numbers to be grossly overpaid for.

What's the alternative when buying online? In person I can see since someone could look at the card (although even in person, often you can't see everything due to poor lighting). The alternative (and this is just a hypothetical) is that someone like me would have to trust someone like you in telling me the condition of a card when buying online. Unfortunately, I would not trust you to tell me the truth, but I think SGC and PSA would do a better job of it. I would imagine someone like you could do as good if not a better job than SGC/PSA, but the problem is whether you'd really tell me. My money is not on Yes with most people unless it is someone I know well and trust, and that's not many.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Mon May 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Just for the sake of accuracy, cgc graded comics have 4 colored labels:

blue - unrestored
green - unrestored but with qualifier (like missing a page)
yellow - signature (witnessed autograph)
purple - restored

There are also numerical grades associated with each label as well as the level of restoration and whether the restoration is amateur or professional for the purple label.

A description of the detected restoration is also noted on the purple label.
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 am

The alternative is WHO CARES what is wrong with the card that the naked eye cannot see. Are you collecting or investing??

When I bought my 1960 Brooks Robinson from a dealer at a show in 1972 he had 3 of them, 1 with rounded corners, 1 with a crease across the middle and 1 nicely centered and no creases, all were .20 each.

ah the good ole days, I bought the one with rounded corners as I liked the fact it was used.

The real problem is, it's all about the money now.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Tue May 19, 2009 2:56 am

Ah, and that's how the conversation ends as it always does. If it doesn't end here, it only gets personal, no need for that.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Tue May 19, 2009 5:06 am

What bothers you more?, paperloss on the back or writing on the back.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue May 19, 2009 1:20 pm

Paper loss if there is a bio on the back. If it's just an ad, then it's no big deal unless I am buying the card for the ad on the back. I had a chance to get a t205 with Drum back. I passed because the damage to the ad part of the back was significant.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 1:54 pm

sorry King, I didn't think I was being personal, please forgive me.

I think paperloss is much worse than writing. I like to know that the back is full.

dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Jay I remember that Drum back!! I was in the market for one at the time as well and refused that one due to the paperloss. I wanted the card for the back so if the paperloss would have been on the front, I probably would have bought it. Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Tue May 19, 2009 2:16 pm

r337man wrote:sorry King, I didn't think I was being personal, please forgive me.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, nothing to apologize for at all. I don't think it has gotten personal. Just saying if it went further, it would start to get personal, so its best I (or we) end it right there before the line is crossed.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 3:22 pm

no sweat on my end my friend, have we done business before? I recognize ur ID but I am borderline memoryless! Anyway I surely am not looking for a fight and if you disagree with me on anything, be sure you are probably in the majority and on the right side of the fence.

take good care and thanks for posting a kind response, I truly appreciate it.

Dan
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm

I am a little surprised at the 7% for full restorations that are not disclosed. Full restorations that are disclosed I could see ok. I have a Baltimore Team cabinet I had fully restored and framed and on the back I have how it used to look. Kind of neat to see the huge difference!
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rman444 Tue May 19, 2009 4:36 pm

I wish I could turn back the clock and buy cards when Dan was collecting, when things could be bought for pennies on today's dollar. However, having only seriously collected over the past 5 or so years, my pocketbook has been at the mercy of the market.

Unfortunately, with the amount that a lot of these cards cost today, I am not in the financial position that I can simply ignore the cost/value of my cards. I wish I was, but I am not. How much I can afford always comes into play.

Fast forward Dan's scenario to today. I would take the rounded corner card for 20 cents as well, but it would be because the rounded corner card and creased card would be 20 cents each while the mint card would be $20 in a PSA 9 holder Smile

I think I have a little of both King and Dan in me.
rman444
rman444
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue May 19, 2009 7:57 pm

That is a great point rman, I think in the past 37 years my .20 purchase which I still have is probably worth about .05

Anyone here want me to invest their money for them???
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

What alterations are OK Empty Alterations

Post by Davalillo Sat May 23, 2009 2:35 pm

This is an easy one.

All alterations are bad from erasing a pencil mark to getting rid of gum stains to soaking cards to trimming them....whether it is disclosed or not.

Jim

Davalillo
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
What alterations are OK Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What alterations are OK Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum