Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

feeBay

+5
terjung
fisherboy7
Bicem
Square_Frame_Ramly
sabrjay
9 posters

Go down

feeBay Empty feeBay

Post by sabrjay Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:26 pm

Just went to feeBay for the first time in a long time. I can't say I like what I see. The new layout is horrible and the top of the page had sponsored links, all firearms. Not exactly what I want to see since I have serious issues with guns.

I think my days of using them are over and back to old school style collecting for me.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

feeBay Empty Jay...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm

Not to go off topic of your original post but, what issue do you have with guns?

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

feeBay Empty Re: feeBay

Post by Bicem Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 pm

probably the fact that you can easily kill people with them.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:00 pm

To the original post: I only use ebay for buying, and even then, my activity is far less than it once was. Fees have something to do with that, but for the most part it's the lack of quality material, and the watered down, BIN ridden pre-1930 section. Maybe someday I'll stop using ebay completely - and I almost have, but when there's something you just gotta have in your collection, it's hard not to at least make a play.

p.s. would like to see us avoid the gun issue here.

Last edited by fisherboy7 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 pm

fisherboy7 wrote:To the original post: I only use ebay for buying, and even then, my activity is far less than it once was. Fees have something to do with that, but for the most part it's the lack of quality material, and the watered down, BIN ridden pre-1930 section.

agreed, most of the stuff is pretty weak, but gems do pop up every now and then, like Dan's Bishop team card.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:30 pm

I won't go off on a gun rant. Let's just leave it at that I have stared down the barrel of a loaded gun twice in my life and didn't involve my military service. That's twice too many for the mellow life I lead.

Getting settled in with GF has stopped my card buying for the time being as we need to get the finances on track first. After that, she doesn't have an issue with my spending money on cards. She actually will ask questions when I dig them out or if she see something here while I am posting.

I've taken calling it feeBay because it is no longer a friendly place if you are a small time seller with all the new and higher fees and requirment to accept PayPal. It may have been sort of a wild west when it first started up, but I'd rather have those days than what it has become now.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Jay:

I feel your pain and have stared down one myself. Not fun.

Back on point... only in the past several months have I sold anything of value on ebay. It is disappointing to see the fees so high, but to be honest, it is something that I take into account if I am going to sell on there. It is really kind of similar to selling at an auction house - monetarily speaking. Granted the format is different, but the result can be similar. Unless you are selling a Honus or something else amazing, you generally don't get the 17.5 or 20% juice, yet the buyer still pays it to the house. If you consider the hammer price plus juice vs. the ebay sale price, the net effect is the same. Please understand, they are not equal - different buyers, generally more credibility, less chance of fraud (don't go there), and greater buyer confidence that the card is what it is advertised to be... to name a few. The bottom line is that you don't get all the money that the buyer shells out.

The bottom line is that ebay and its fees (including Paypal) are part of doing business with them. The people that this really hurts are the full-time ebayers. But even with that, the business world changes constantly. You need to adapt (better / faster / cheaper) in order to survive.

The mass BIN on ebay is a bit frustrating, but that is the way some business have adapted. Unfortunately, that has resulted in a less fun experience and in many cases, a higher sticker price. It is less fun, but I still peruse it regularly.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

feeBay Empty Trying...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:00 pm

to understand why someone would give me a neg. for asking this question in a post. scratch

"Not to go off topic of your original post but, what issue do you have with guns?"

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:51 am

That might be our first negative. Maybe you get a congrats? scratch

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:28 am

You can give a retaliatory negative to the post's originator in one of your threads. This can quickly be expanded to all out WAR.

"It's not guns which kill people, it's bullets. Leave the collectors alone, go after the ammunition".

No intents offended.
- Archie Bunker

Smile
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

feeBay Empty Hi Gil...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:38 am

I wouldn't do that because i am not that type of person....the funny thing is, i am 99.9 % sure the neg. is NOT from anyone who has posted in this thread.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:45 am

I thought that it was only the thread author who could give pos or negs in his thread.

No ?

Oh, I guess that is not right. Because I succeeded in giving Ben a neg in his own thread. (I was just pracising).
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:56 pm

I guess I don't understand the concept of this +/- thing that's been added to the forum. What purpose does it serve? IMO all it will do is cause hard feelings...as someone has given Mark a negative for simply asking a question that was rather benign.
slidekellyslide
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

http://www.freewebs.com/nebraskadiamonds/

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:39 pm

No big deal...anyone can give me a neg. if they want.

Maybe i should have left the Gun subject alone, i was just wondering what happen to Jay....i got my answer.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:56 pm

slidekellyslide wrote:I guess I don't understand the concept of this +/- thing that's been added to the forum. What purpose does it serve? IMO all it will do is cause hard feelings...as someone has given Mark a negative for simply asking a question that was rather benign.

The reputation system is a very common feature on forums all over the net.

When our server introduced it a few weeks ago, I thought it might be useful to us as a way to reward good posts with positive feedback, and for active contributers to accumulate high feedback ratings. Because we really don't have a problem with trolls and infighting, I didn't foresee the negative feedback being used much at all. I think negs should only be used in cases of instigating, namecalling, trolling, etc.

If a good number of Full Count members aren't happy the reputation system, it can easily be removed.

itsonlygil wrote:I thought that it was only the thread author who could give pos or negs in his thread.
Anyone can give +/- feedback to any post (except for your own) as long as you're logged in. Only the author of a thread can give "thanks" (+3 feedback points) to one outstanding/helpful response to their thread. You can tell which post has been "thanked" because it takes on a light green shade.

P.S. Here is the original thread with all the relevant information about the reputation system.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:24 am

I have no problem with the positive negative, I actually like it as a check especially for trolls, it would help to weed out the people that do not contribute and only seem to want to cause trouble. Right now on this board there has been little to no inflammatory remarks here.

In this instance someone obviously has an issue with guns being mentioned on this board. It think it is the right of every member to have his or hers thoughts on each issue.

Ben, Is there a possiblity of allowing only members with say 10 replies/topics to be able to contribute to the pos/neg?

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
feeBay Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100feeBay Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:39 am

OMG who would actually give mark a negative? he's like the nicest white guy i know bow . the board's innocence is gone with that first neg No

edit: ps mark, i just NEG jay in his OP...i got ur back naughty . jay probably had nothing to do with ur neg but someone's gotta pay for it....jay's the biggest target i know!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

feeBay Empty Ha,Ha...Quan.

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:02 am

You did not have to do that....now that's just wrong affraid Surprised

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:24 am

cccc wrote:OMG who would actually give mark a negative? he's like the nicest white guy i know bow . the board's innocence is gone with that first neg No

edit: ps mark, i just NEG jay in his OP...i got ur back naughty . jay probably had nothing to do with ur neg but someone's gotta pay for it....jay's the biggest target i know!

Now that our innocence is gone, what are we left with?
Guilt?
I'm tempted to give everyone a neg. for making me feel guilty (of what?)
Hmmm .... but I won't.
I simply contribute two +s:
One to Jay - for coming up with this Off Topic
And one for Quan - stir the pot agree
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Man, I'm gonna go drop a neg on everyone so they can all feel the pain

Jay ninja
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:10 am

<------------------- Will Take Negs for t-206 Beaters
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:19 am

I know you guys are just having fun, but negs really should only be used for trolls and inflammatory posts. If we're not able to use the reputation system as it was intended (as reward for good posting), maybe we'd be better off getting rid of it entirely.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:31 am

<--------------------------- Will take Neg. for pre-war beater !
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: