Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where's the Shovel ?

4 posters

Go down

Where's the Shovel ? Empty Where's the Shovel ?

Post by TheRiddler Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm gettin' buried.
Mutual funds going south, along with more speculative investments.
Yes, metals and cards are doing fine, but everything else is down the tubes.

Unfortunately (for me) metals and cards = <10% of my potrfolio.
It would be nice if there was a base ball card based mutual fund - no?

I just had a CD (that is, certificate of deposit) renew at 1.25%
Yeah right?
I have liquidity.
What are my options?
I do not have the time, nor inclination to bid on individual cards.

question
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Where's the Shovel ? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Where's the Shovel ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Where's the Shovel ? Empty Re: Where's the Shovel ?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:22 am

Thank fully most of my investments lie in our beloved hobby, these people that do not believe they are not investment worthy or think you need high grade cards to be investments to me are way off base. I think the biggest aspect of any down fall in any vintage cards are the high grade cards especially T206s.

I have always wanted to set up some sort of portfolio business with my buying habits, just because I have really done nice for my self on a limited budget.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Where's the Shovel ? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Where's the Shovel ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:39 am

I don't own any stocks. I did have an IRA, but cashed out of it last year to buy vintage baseball cards. I have a 401K through work, but like everyone else it's gone south (I got out of stock mutual funds when they went bad, and got into bonds and treasuries, but got back into the stocks at the beginning of the month, and it's done really well).

Anyway, I have more value in my cards then I do my 401K. So to me, yes it is a hobby, but it's also an investment.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Where's the Shovel ? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Where's the Shovel ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:54 am

Lee:
"I have always wanted to set up some sort of portfolio business with my buying habits, just because I have really done nice for my self on a limited budget.

Lee"

I believe that is what B. Dorskind is doing.
I think that many people right now are seeking a safer haven than traditional investment options. And although they may choose art, antique furnishings and the like; I imagine that a portion of their assets are earmarked for less mainstream tangibles - such as baseball cards.
Articles such as the one in Forbes is remembered. But most people can not know how to get involved in this (hobby?), when they are sitting on tens of thousands to invest. Reaching them could be profitable, if you can generate credibility.

I am up for a thought out, viable, professional approach. I wonder what that means.

- Gil
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Where's the Shovel ? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Where's the Shovel ? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum