Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New meaning to Buy it Now!

3 posters

Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty New meaning to Buy it Now!

Post by Potomac Yank Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:32 am

After a years display with the same price, what was once part of a sellers inventory, can now be considered part of his collection. Smile

These are not good times for flippers, some of them are beginning to learn how to adjust. ... They're just a step, or two away from being collectors. Very Happy

Welcome aboard!

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
New meaning to Buy it Now! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New meaning to Buy it Now! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty Re: New meaning to Buy it Now!

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Either that or they are going to take a hit to the bank account in order to get cash out those cards.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
New meaning to Buy it Now! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100New meaning to Buy it Now! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Potomac Yank Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I don't know Jay, are you saying that some of the flippers might not be aware of the on going Meltdown? ... hmm.

The more I look at some of the off the wall B.I.N. prices, the more I feel that they love showing off their collection. Smile

You're going to see a big sell off, when they realize that the Meltdown is real, and their prices are not in touch.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
New meaning to Buy it Now! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New meaning to Buy it Now! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm sure they are aware of the meltdown. How many of them can actually afford to sit on their cards may be another story as debt piles up and bills need to get paid. Then they will have to think hard about unloading those cards at a loss that they were hoping to make a quick buck on

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
New meaning to Buy it Now! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100New meaning to Buy it Now! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty Ebay B.I.N.

Post by hrbaker Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:49 am

Were they ever really for sale to start with or were most of these guys just fishing. Obviously you have your larger national dealers who can be as out of touch as the next guy but some of the others I'm not sure. I have always thought they just liked showing off their cards and if they hit one evrey so often so what. I simply regard the ebay Pre-30 Buy It Now section as a Virtual Museum. When I search, I click the "Auctions Only" tab, now if I could just get rid of the reprints the same way.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
New meaning to Buy it Now! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New meaning to Buy it Now! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Potomac Yank Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Hello HRBaker,
You touched quite a few bases, and included the Rare Reprints. Laughing

Have any of you noticed the increase in flipper liquidations? Shocked

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty Potomac Yank

Post by hrbaker Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:31 pm

I guess I need to pay more attention. Either I have not noticed the liquidation or the prices aren't what I would call liquidation yet. Perhaps you could direct my attention to some of the flippers with insane pricing that have adjusted them downward at any significance. One of the drawbacks of searching "Auctions Only" is that I could be missing the big movement!
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
New meaning to Buy it Now! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100New meaning to Buy it Now! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty HRBaker

Post by Potomac Yank Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Flippers are beginning to notice that their flip over inventory is becoming a collection ... which was NOT part of the plan. Laughing
When a known flipper uses the word Liquidation in his sales offer, it doesn't mean that he's in real touch with the meltdown yet. ... but it's a start. Smile

eBay is not the only dumping ground. ... flippers can be found anywhere.

I don't mind losing an auction to a collector, so again I say to the flippers.

Welcome Aboard! Smile

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty OK

Post by hrbaker Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:04 pm

When is a sale, not a sale? The first, second or third time through when the (ahem, cough, cough) original price was in the stratosphere. To your point, if their inventory sets, then essentially they are collectors and to them I say welcome as well. Glad to have you, nothing lasts forever.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty To be, or not to be.....

Post by Potomac Yank Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Is it a collection ... or is it a Portfolio?

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty Asset Based

Post by hrbaker Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:22 pm

Is it an asset until its "Liquidated?" I guess you could call it a portfolio. What's the value of said portfolio of a "flipper," the asking prices? In my world, that's not a portfolio, just some cardboard that you may have too much money in and are having a hard time getting out of what you anticipated. Alas, much easier being a collector where all you have to worry about is how much your kids can get out of them if anything.

And I don't really care who I lose to, I hate losing but at the end of the day I should have bid more.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty You bid to win ... That's wonderful

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:34 am

What is your mindset?

1. When you bid, do you bid because you want to fill an empty slot in your set collection? ..... or

2. Are you bidding on an object because you feel that it will fetch a higher resale price?

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty Answers

Post by hrbaker Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:15 am

1. If I see something I like I bid. I don't really have holes. I collect HOFers and a few sets. If it's a HOF and I don't have that particular card I may bid. If it is a set I am working on (E93/98, R309, R303B, 1923-24 Exhibit) and it is a card I need or one I need to upgrade, I bid.

2. No, I really don't do that. I may buy a lot to get a particular card and then sell the rest or I may sell a card after I have upgraded, but I do not buy to flip. This is a hobby for me.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty You answered the asset/hobby question.

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:16 am

You're a collector.

I'm a set collector.

I used the word portfolio, because some flippers have a stock market mindset, and treat the hobby as such.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty I agree....

Post by hrbaker Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:59 am

with your premise that many of these BIN offerings are from people who are in it for an investment or as a business and do not have a collector's mentality. My main point was that I had not seen any price reductions yet that would convince me that a "liquidation" is afoot. Simply putting liquidation in a thread title on the BST or in an ebay listing does not make it a liquidation when your prices are not adjusted accordingly.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

New meaning to Buy it Now! Empty Precisely my point

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Using the word liquidation is the first step.

Adjusting the reason why their BIN has been untouched for over a year ... is another.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum