Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A

+9
Bicem
ItsOnlyGil
crazylocomerk
bowlingshoeguy
sabrjay
TheBig6
hrbaker
Comisky
fisherboy7
13 posters

Go down

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Empty Rapid Fire Collector Q&A

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 pm

I thought this might be a good way to get to know some of our newer members, and maybe learn something new about the collecting habits of the "regulars" who post here. I will save my response until a few others have had a chance to reply. Here it goes:

1. What's your favorite decade for cards? (e.g. 1880's, 1930's, etc)

2. Do you have any 19th century cards in your collection? If so, which one is your favorite?

3. What is your favorite tobacco card set?

4. What is your favorite caramel card set?

5. When did you start collecting prewar cards? How did you get into collecting prewar?

6. What is the % breakdown of your purchases (ebay/auction houses/private sales and trades)

7. What is the % breakdown of the condition of your collection? (e.g. 30% fr-gd, 50% vg, 20% ex and above)

8. Approximately how many cards are in your collection in total?

9. Is there a card in your collection that you'd never part with?

10. If you could trade your entire collection for one "dream card", would you? Which card(s) would that be?

11. Are you currently working on any prewar sets? Which ones, and how close are you to completion?

12. What is the scarcest card in your collection? Post a scan if possible.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Empty Questionare........

Post by Comisky Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:04 pm

Here are my answers..........

1900-1910

2. Do you have any 19th century cards in your collection? If so, which one is your favorite?
I collect N172 Browns Champs subset set (currently at four)

T206

Crakerjacks for sure!

5. When did you start collecting prewar cards? How did you get into collecting prewar?
I started collecting prewar cards about 8 years ago and have never looked back. I have always had a love for baseball and history, so when I found out I could afford a relic from baseballs past I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

6. What is the % breakdown of your purchases (ebay/auction houses/private sales and trades)
Ebay=50%, Auction Houses=10%, Private Sales=20%, Trades=20% ( I prefer trades because I don't have to spend any money!)

7. What is the % breakdown of the condition of your collection? (e.g. 30% fr-gd, 50% vg, 20% ex and above)
I mostly have cards that range from good to vg, I like rarity over condition any day.

150-200

Well, I thought that there were several cards I would never part with, however, I just traded three of them away to another board member. I guess if an opportunity arises, any card can traded.

10. If you could trade your entire collection for one "dream card", would you? Which card(s) would that be?
Other than a T206 Wagner, there are not that many cards I would trade my entire collection for. I like variety and my collection reflects that.

11. Are you currently working on any prewar sets? Which ones, and how close are you to completion?
1. T206- I am collecting this set by teams and am currently three cards away from completing the NY Giants subset and 20 cards away from completing the Southern League subset.
2. T207- Slowly working on this set, I pick a T207 every month or so and now I am at about 20 or 25.
3. N172- As mentioned earlier, I am working on a Browns Champs subset. I just picked up a beautiful Von der Ahe which brings my subset up to four!
5. 1933 Sport kings set- This was the first set I ever started. I was able to pick up 20 PSA graded cards in a lot on ebay which kicked off my collection. I am now about 4 or 5 away from completion with the recent purchase of a Ty Cobb.

Well, scarcest, hmmm......how about this one.......
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Wagner10
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Empty My Answers

Post by hrbaker Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 pm

I thought this might be a good way to get to know some of our newer members, and maybe learn something new about the collecting habits of the "regulars" who post here. I will save my response until a few others have had a chance to reply. Here it goes:

1910 - 1919
No
T227
E104-I/II/III
1988, I started as a HOF player collector with a 1939 Playball Gehringer
Ebay 50% / Auction Houses 0% / Private Sales 50% / Trades 0%
10% F-G / 50% VG / 40% EX and above
1500+
yes, several
There is not one card I would trade my collection for, the assemblage and the stories are part of the hobby for me
E95/E96/W575-2/1921 Exhibit/1923-24 Exhibit/Pinkerton Postcards/E93/Tattoo Orbit/DeLongs
S81 Homerun Baker Silk
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A BakerSilk
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Empty Re: Rapid Fire Collector Q&A

Post by TheBig6 Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:45 pm

I'll give this a go
I'm like Chris, I like the deadball era the best as far as history and collecting goes but since I grew up during the golden age (1950's), I have a special affinity for this period also.

I have a few N173 Hofers and have just started adding other issues such as Scrapps & N172's.
My favorite is N173 Keefe, which you guys have seen many times.

T206

E90-1

I stumbled into a card shop in 1987 and it was a very moving experience, hard for me to put in words. I was immediately reliving fond memories of my childhood and it was like an Epiphany moment for me. Eventually moving farther back in time as most collectors do.

Ebay 40%, privates sales 50%, Auction Houses 5%, Trades 5%

80% VG/EX, 10% Ex or Better, 10% VG

[color:d548=#000000]100 Give or take

I can't see myself parting with any of my n173's, but you never say never

I don't think I would trade my whole collection for any one card but I would trade alot of it for somekind of Boston Garter card. Any Year any player, I just want one

I'm not really a set collector but have been accumilating a few M101-4/5's Lately

I guess any of the n173's would be considered scarce today as you don't see many come up for sale. But for a change of pace I will post this one. only one other Walsh Famous & Barr graded, this one being the highest.
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A EdwalshRapid Fire Collector Q&A 9edwalsh2
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:59 am

1880's. Can only admire the cream of this crop from afar because they are so expensive, but the sets from this era are so interesting and diverse. Just the thought of owning a G&B HOFer or a Kalamazoo Bats team card is enough to give me chills.

Used to have a nice little 19th century collection, but not so much anymore. I suppose my current favorite is my Mayo Ewing.

Probably T204 Ramly.

E107 Breisch Williams.

Lifetime collector, but got into prewar about 9 years ago after an impulse E93 Gibson ebay buy (I think it cost me $13 and was vgex). Things quickly snowballed from there.

30% ebay, 10% auction houses, 60% private sales & trades.
Purchases have tailed off significantly in the past few years.

7. What is the % breakdown of the condition of your collection?

Approximately 30% pr-fr, 45% g-vg, 20% vgex-ex, 5% ex or better

Approximately 90-100 prewar cards.

I'll never say never, but I'd be hard pressed to let go of my T206 proof.

Yes, I'd trade the whole kit & kaboodle for a number of cards, such as a 4BH Kelly/Ewing, or a E107 Wagner/Matty or a 1912 Boston Garter Matty/Johnson. But nobody's ever gonna trade me those cards, so in reality my answer is likely "no".

I'm working on E96 but recently traded one away to a fellow collector. I think I'm 5-6 cards away from completion but I've kinda been taking it easy with that mission lately. Not much of a set collector really.

Tough call. Holland Creameries HOFers aren't seen very often:

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Hollands
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:42 am

1930s. What can I say, I love art deco

Not anymore

t205s. Love the gold borders and card design

G&Bs. A bit small but the real photo cards are awesome. Not so much the line drawing ones.

Started in 1981 when I bought a t205 Matty for $10. I got interested in pre-war cards when Lee and I found the 1980 Beckett price guide. I fell in love right away when I saw the old cards

Not sure. I'd guess 90% or more of my collection is VG or lower. I tend sell or trade of any raw cards that grade out well.

about 150 split between t205s, Diamonds Stars and Delongs. The only cards I own that are part of those sets are my m101-5 Thorpe and my 1914 CJ Plank

My Thorpe. then again, there is that possibility that someone will make me that outrageous offer I can't refuse.

the Thorpe is my dream card.

t205s about 40% there but with all the toughies except the no stats Hoblitzel (don't plan on getting it). Delong at 50% and Diamond Stars at about 25%

The Thorpe. You all have seen a thousand time
yawn

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:03 am

Here Goes:

1910's

Yes, N43 Ryan

T202 Hassan Triple Folders

E93

I believe about 1981, an encounter at a card show at the newly built Metrodome, saw and bought my first T202.

ebay 65%
Private 25%
Trades 10%

5% - EX and Above
70% - VG to VG/EX
25% - lower

I would guess around 700.

At this point my E93 Wagner

This is not a card I would value over the quantity I have.

A T206 Subset, Cycle 460s currently at 67.

Any of my Piedmont Art Stamps

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Piedmo10

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:42 am

1910's

NO

T216's of course!

E99's or E100's even though I don't own any

January 2007. I was collecting vintage hotwheels at the time and someone posted some T-206's to trade for redlines. Once I saw those I was hooked.

25% Ebay, 37.5% Auction houses, 37.5% trades and private sales

93% (40 or below), 7% (50)

All of my T216's unless I ran into hard times.

E90-1 Joe Jackson. Though I would find it very tough to trade my T216's.

Working on a T216 set, with any back. A daunting task, but I have the rest of my life. I am 22% complete

T206 Home Run Baker with a BL 460 back.
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A 1909-11T-206BakerHomeRunBroadleaf46
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:40 pm

19th century

N172 Caruthers, G

n300 Mayo Cut Plug

E223 G&B Gum

There was a soft covered book given out by some company which contained the stats of “all” of the ballplayers in history. All of us kids had a copy, but I was the only one really interested … wow! Tris Speaker was almost as good as Cobb – I bet no one has ever heard of Tris Speaker – and whatkinda name is “Tris” (or “Ty”)? And Rogers Hornsby ! These initial observations continue to expand into my current awareness, and will continue until I am satisfied that I know it all.

In order to keep track of “it all”, I select ballplayer cards which represent the important (in my eyes) highlights of “it all” I began on this quest in 1976 after talking to card shop owners for a few years. In ’76 I found a used book called the Sports Collectors Bible which was one of the first price guides – really more just a set listing. But that allowed me to tabulate which card from which set would best fit my plans.

I was real slow to get into it. I had my cards from my youth (the ‘50s) to go through and determine which to keep – at that time there was no player premium for star cards (or HOFers, etc.), they all essentially cost the same; and they often sold in larger lots. I remember turning down an offer for me to purchase about 300 Topps 1954 cards – HOFers and commons, g – ex condition = $5.

That was a missed opportunity, but at least I did not sell my cards at those prices either. A fellow who I met at a show around 1982, told me that Lipsett was selling an OJ Maines card in a magazine ad. Actually, he was selling two different poses. So these and a couple of other cards represent my initial foray into the actual obtaining of pre-war cards. But to me, I had been planning and researching my want list for years, while watching and assessing the hobby; so I was in, just not “all in”. Actually, I was not all in until I sold my unwanted and dups from the 50s (I sold 3 Kaline rookies and 2 Clemente rookies and kept none). I remember as a kid, no one wanted the rookie cards – for example: who was Aaron in 1954?

Upon selling my extra fifties stuff, I was able to finance quite a few purchases. But I needed, and still need many cards to help me keep track of baseball history. Therefore, in order to maximize my coverage within the budget of a normal human, I often select lower grade cards. Occasionally I splurge and obtain a vg/ex, but not often, unless the card is inexpensive.

300 - baseball

Why would I part with a card which I own?

Only if I was to get out of the hobby. Same with non-sports cards and coins. I often think that one of each as a remembrance could be nice, as I embark upon a new endeavor.

no.

Regular issue – r314d Johnnie Burnett (his only contemporary card) – most hits in a game = 9
Foreign issue – several Cuban cards representing players who both played in the Negro Leagues and MLB.
Secondary market cards – players and others not available in primary manufacturer sets =
Arnold Rothstein, Black Sox
Diomedes Olivo (TCMA Pirates) – oldest rookie

Scarce: a little.
Expensive: no.
Easy to find: no.

Last edited by ItsOnlyGil on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Destoopidify it.)
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:55 pm

1. What's your favorite decade for cards? (e.g. 1880's, 1930's, etc) (1900-1908)

2. Do you have any 19th century cards in your collection? If so, which one is your favorite? yes, Bid McPhee cabinet

3. What is your favorite tobacco card set? T3

4. What is your favorite caramel card set? E107

5. When did you start collecting prewar cards? How did you get into collecting prewar? 2001 ish

6. What is the % breakdown of your purchases (ebay/auction houses/private sales and trades) current collection - mostly auction house and private deals, all-time - ebay #1

7. What is the % breakdown of the condition of your collection? (e.g. 30% fr-gd, 50% vg, 20% ex and above) 30% fr-gd / 60% vg-ex / 10% ex-mt+

8. Approximately how many cards are in your collection in total? less than 20

9. Is there a card in your collection that you'd never part with? no

10. If you could trade your entire collection for one "dream card", would you? Which card(s) would that be? Just So Cy Young

11. Are you currently working on any prewar sets? Which ones, and how close are you to completion? w601 Sporting Life PC - 50% done

12. What is the scarcest card in your collection? Post a scan if possible. Bid McPhee cabinet
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by macbruce11 Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:00 pm

1910-19

About 10 N172 HOFers. Favorite is probably the Keefe and Richardson stealing.

T206 or Mayo

E98 or E94

About eight years for prewar. When I found ebay, I put together a set of 1965 topps, then a set of 57 topps, then a set of 41 playballs and worked my way back to t206s. Most of the cards are gone now though.

50% Ebay, 25% Auction houses, 25% trades and private sales

50% Vg, 25% Good (or worse), 25% VG/Ex or better

Approx. 300

My first prewar card, an EX condition t206 red Cobb that I bought for $10 as a 10 year old.

Don't think I would trade (but an e107 Delehanty would be awful tempting)

E94 - Need 2
E97 - Need 2
E90-3 - Need 1
Loosely working on an e98 master set in all four colors for each player. I am a bit over half way but will probably bail before it is complete.

Scarcest would probably be my 1921 Herposheimer HOFers (Baker and Rice).

macbruce11
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:17 pm

1910's

I have one. It is a N172 Jim Donnely.

T205's

I'm not a huge fan of e cards but I do like the e94's.

3 years ago I got my fist vintage card at a local store. I was hooked after that.

ebay 60%, card shows 15%, auction houses not much, private sales and trades 15%

30% pr-fr, 50%vg, 20% vg or better.

I have around 30 pre-war cards.

My first pre-war card. A t206 doolan sgc 30.

I don't think there is one card that I would trade all my cards away for.

I might try the t205's but for now I just buy the HOF and scarce cards in the set.

My t205 drum. I'll post a pic later.
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:07 am

1910s – seems like at least half the T & E cards were made then

E223 G&B Gum Van Haltran

T201 – something about that goofy fold over...

E145 Cracker Jack - like the red background!

In 1976 I went on a trip to DC and saw a baseball card store for the first time. I bought cards of teams that didn’t exist anymore – some 50’s Topps, some Bowmans, and my big purchase, a ’33 Goudey for a buck. From there, I started looking for Goudeys from other years and came across a T206. Next thing you know, I became a crazy type card collector...

85% eBay, 5% auction, 10% private

90% vg or less

maybe 500 pre-war baseball?

I wouldn't part with any (unless there was a crazy offer for my whole collection).

NO

Over 1/4th complete with the 1915 Cracker Jack set. With the type set a much higher priority, don’t expect to make much progress getting the remaining 130+ cards any time soon.

Maybe the La Azora Cobb:
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A La_azo10

Rapid Fire Collector Q&A La_az_10

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:10 am

glenv wrote:2. Do you have any 19th century cards in your collection? If so, which one is your favorite?

E223 G&B Gum Van Haltran

drool drool drool

Sounds awesome, Glen. Would love to see a scan if possible.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:16 am

I've got to go with the 1930s. I like the Goudey sets and the Delongs quite a bit.
I don't have any as I haven't caught that bug yet.
I like the T204 Ramly set
Do I need to answer this one? OK, fine...E107
Via trying to collect "all the RC of the HOFers", then realized what insanity that would bring, so I refocused my efforts on certain sets/cards. I started collecting prewar sometime around September 2008.
Formerly 100% eBay. In the past 6 months since I got into vintage collecting, I'm about 25% eBay, 20% auction houses, 40% private sales, 15% trades
Prewar is 75% PR-GD, 5% VG, 20% EX/NM.
Postwar vintage 25% NM, 75% NM/MT or better
Anything from the 80s on up is all MT or MT+, but that collection is quickly diminishing to fund my prewar focus.

Cards that I would now count as part of my collection (as opposed to the tons of early 80s stuff I collected as a kid), somewhere around 50... but the number keeps getting smaller as I refine my collecting focus.
I used to think so, but not anymore.
After thinking about it, I don't think I would. An E107 Wagner would be the closest one I would consider it for though.
I'm working on a HOF set of E107 and a HOF set of '33 Goudey in EX/NM
Probably one of my E107 HOFers. Which one is a tossup.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Rapid Fire Collector Q&A Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down