Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instructions for Newbies

4 posters

Go down

Instructions for Newbies Empty Instructions for Newbies

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Purchases:

Buy cards graded by SGC or PSA only.

When you are ready for further insight, contact one of us.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Instructions for Newbies Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Instructions for Newbies Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Instructions for Newbies Empty Re: Instructions for Newbies

Post by cccc Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:00 pm

eliminate psa and i'd agree with you. they're probably the worst out of the big 3 right now.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Instructions for Newbies Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Instructions for Newbies Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:02 pm

SGC is the way to go IMO. PSA has been making a ton of mistakes, and it scares me a little bit. Not saying that SGC doesn't, but nothing compared to what I've been seeing from PSA.

And if you are a newbie, and want to get into raw vintage cards, the best thing to do is to research and ask questions first, before you dive in. Then when you get some confidence, dive right in.

Last edited by crazylocomerk on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Instructions for Newbies Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Instructions for Newbies Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Quan and I had the same thoughts.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Instructions for Newbies Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Instructions for Newbies Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Since cccc in theory we are talking to new collectors, please allow us to clarify our concerns regharding PSA. It is my understanding that the grade assigned by PSA is questionable, but the authenticity of their graded cards are accurate. Therefore, the subject (of which grade is appropriate) becomes an opinion = subjective.

There are other problems with PSA, but none adequately indict grading accuray, they generally address quality control inadequacies.

I am not a PSA supporter, nor am I a hater of that product.

However, if faced with equAlly priced holders, I would choose SGC to buy before cracking it out.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Instructions for Newbies Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Instructions for Newbies Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:59 pm

imo letting simple alterations pass through is alot worse than them grading reprints. at least with fake cards it's pretty cut&dry and you have recourses to get your money back. with altered cards buyers have a false sense of security. if the problem is known psa can claim grading is subjective, or they'll delete the cert etc.

professional grading in general has gotten worse...and that includes SGC, while i believe alterations and card doctoring has gotten better. there will come a time when they overlap, and the grader/tester will be working from behind, much like the steroid scandal in sports. one example is the recent e94 overprint.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Instructions for Newbies Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Instructions for Newbies Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:22 pm

There is no doubt that what you say is true.
Simarly, to my perception, there is no doubt that what you say is not
fully understandible to a new collector
who is not sophistcated in the various hobby aspects.

Therefore, please elaborate, and state the facts more simply.
Thank you,
gil
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:46 am

My take:

Eliminate SGC and I'd agree with you.

Unless I really needed it (and I mean despirate) and it was already in an SGC holder or I had one of the very very few in my collection graded by them earlier...you will not find an SGC graded card in my collection!

I will definately never send them one of my cards to grade....ever! I'd sooner send it to PRO.
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Instructions for Newbies Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Instructions for Newbies Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum