Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A-Rod on is now A-Roid

5 posters

Go down

A-Rod on is now A-Roid Empty A-Rod on is now A-Roid

Post by sabrjay Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:08 pm

Ok, now that A-Rod has officially been busted for using steroids, can we all drop this ridiculous pretext that there were great players in the past 15 years that did not use steroids? There is also now no need to treat Bonds' record like Maris'. Everyone was one steroids, so no one had an advantage.

I did get a chuckle out of the NY Post headline: A-Hole bow

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

A-Rod on is now A-Roid Empty Re: A-Rod on is now A-Roid

Post by glenv Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm at a lose why because other players used steroids, Bonds numbers should be considered legit. A number of hitters numbers jumped to crazy levels - that doesn't make them all good. Now the argument that pitchers got the same advantage makes a lot more sense. Their numbers ballooned too - look how many 30 game winners we've had recently, the below 1 ERAs, and the 115 mph fastballs - obviously that offsets whatever the hitters did...

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

A-Rod on is now A-Roid Empty players...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 pm

like Chipper Jones who i believe NEVER took Roids is one of the great players of the last 15 years...He did cheat on his wife but that had nothing to do with the game.

Its sad to hear all this stuff about A-Rod because it will tarnish what baseball has done in that time period. Redsox winning 2 world series within a few years after not winning for 86 years and some great playoff games.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 am

Baseball is all about getting away with what you can "legally"
whether it is a guy in the scoreboard with binoculars, cutting across the mound to go fron 1st to 3rd in the early days, earlier performance enhancers such as amphetamines, or simply base staeling; cheating is allowed, just not gambling.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:26 am

Glen, the reason it makes Bonds' numbers more legit is the fact that EVERYONE was on steroids, hence no one got an advantage. Hitters were beefed up and pitchers were juiced too.

If you look at relative ERAs, What Pedro, Maddux and Clemens have done is far more impressive than 0.80 ERA in the deadball era when when a million errors were committed. Then you factor in that players today have larger gloves and are able to get to balls that were base hits back then and hitting a .350 today looks as impressive as hitting .400 did back then.

The game changes and evolves. You can't compare numbers form different eras with making adjustments for how the game was played at the time. Today is the age of performance enhancers. Everyone does them, so no one has an edge, so the numbers are meaningful. If you want to say that todays numbers are not legit, then I hope you fully support returning Ruth as the all-time leader in HRs because Aaron took amphedimines to enchance his performance. Then again, everyone during his career did it, so doesn't really matter. It was even playing field for that era. That's what counts.

I'd bet my entire collection that Cobb would have done PEDs if he were playing today because he would do anything to win and be the best. It's the same reason all the greats look for ways to get an advantage.

As Gil said, cheating has been part of the game since it's inception, from trying to throw illegal pitches when you were only allowed to throw underhand, to the present day where everyone is looking for the latest PED which they can't test for right now.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:56 pm

Is anyone else getting annoyed with all the praise being heaped upon Arod for "being honest"? WTF? He flat lied when asked about it originally, and he would still be lying about it today if he hadn't been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. All he has done is learned that you don't respond the way Bonds, Clemens and everyone else has when you caught.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

A-Rod on is now A-Roid Empty yes...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:00 pm

total bull crap.....the media is trying to portray him as a victim and saying that now he came out and admitted taking ROIDS he is a good roll model for kids.

BS...he lied!!!!

A-Rod says, how could i be honest to CBS (interview) if i could not be honest with myself. Well, you could have just said YES, I DID ROIDS !!!!!!!!! insane insane insane insane insane
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

A-Rod on is now A-Roid Empty AROD

Post by hrbaker Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 pm

"The contract made me do it." Now there is an original spin. Only three years? It was never when he spoke on CBS. Why believe him now? This is total damage control by someone worried about his legacy and HOF status.

Last edited by hrbaker on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellin')
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:16 am

Notice he conveniently quit using when steroids officially became banned by MLB.

I forget which player it was that made the comment today, but it's so true "Do you really believe that no one taking PEDs now?"

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

A-Rod on is now A-Roid Empty Well...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:23 pm

From all the news lately i suppose Clemens will be next...i read that it will be very, very soon.

Clemons link

I say by this weekend.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Smile

"It's not like A-Rod lying to Katie Couric in an interview. When you're under oath, you have to tell the truth."

I did not have HGH with that woman Monica Lewinsky .... it depends on what your definition (of is) is.

grr
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
A-Rod on is now A-Roid Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100A-Rod on is now A-Roid Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum