Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted

3 posters

Go down

Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Empty Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted

Post by TheRiddler Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:08 pm

as the single season HR leader.

Barry Bonds* (36)
L

Mark McGwire (34)
R

Sammy Sosa (29)
R

Mark McGwire (35)
R

Sammy Sosa (32)
R

Sammy Sosa (30)
R

Roger Maris* (26)
L

Babe Ruth+* (32)
L

Babe Ruth+* (26)
L

Ned Williamson’s 36 year season HR record somehow is discredited because his ball park was too small, too close to the wind, or some other fault existed with it in 1884.

Maris's record WAS, from 1962 until 1991, listed separately from Ruth's: Roger's as the standard for a 162-game season, Babe's for a 154-game schedule. This situation came about on July 17, 1961, when - with Maris (35) and teammate Mickey Mantle (33) threatening Ruth's record - Commissioner Ford Frick (a former ghost-writer for the Babe) made the following proclamation:

"Any player who may hit more than sixty home runs during his club's first 154 games would be recognized as having established a new record. However, if the player does not hit more than sixty until after his club has played 154 games, there would have to be some distinctive mark in the record books to show that Babe Ruth's record was set under a 154-game schedule and the total of more than sixty was compiled while a 162-game schedule was in effect.

His voice choked with emotion, his eyes nearly filled with tears, time after time he refused to answer the question everyone wanted to know: Did he take illegal steroids when he hit a then-record 70 home runs in 1998 -- or at any other time?
Asked by Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., whether he was asserting his Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate himself, McGwire said: "I'm not here to talk about the past. I'm here to be positive about this subject."
Asked whether use of steroids was cheating, McGwire said: "That's not for me to determine."
To a couple of other questions, all he would say is: "I'm retired."

Et cetera = Bonds
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Empty No, I recognize

Post by hrbaker Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:25 pm

Roger Maris as the legitimate single season HR leader in MLB. I have no issue with that.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Empty Re: Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:27 pm

No problem with Bonds as the record holder. Ruth and Maris didn't have to face steroid using pitchers like Roger Clemens in their day.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted Empty Re: Gosh, it seems as if only Ruth will ever be accepted

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down