Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else experiencing this?

+5
Bicem
hanksta
ItsOnlyGil
TheBig6
sabrjay
9 posters

Go down

Anyone else experiencing this? Empty Anyone else experiencing this?

Post by sabrjay Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:37 am

I'm amazed at the people that think that just because the economy and card market are soft right that this means it's open season for them to make ridiculously low offers. I just had some pea brain email me saying that if I was in need of some fast cash he would pay $1k for my Thorpe card. I didn't even bother answer back the offer was so insulting. I should have told him that if can find anyone sell him a m101-5 Thorpe for that price that I'll pay him $2k for each one for a quick flip.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Anyone else experiencing this? Empty Re: Anyone else experiencing this?

Post by TheBig6 Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:10 am

When I get a ridiculous offer I usually tell them that I would BURN it first.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:38 pm

The offer is an insult.
I translate it as:
"If you are absolutely desperate for cash, have no credit, and no clue regarding where to go to sell your card for a reasonable amount, I will offer you ..."
The offerer appears to have an IQ equivalent to his shoe size.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:14 pm

Come on Jay...$2,500! Very Happy

Happy Holidays Everyone!
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:27 pm

Low ball offers don't bother me all that much, I just say "no thanks, we're not even close," or something like that. Can't blame the guy too much for trying.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:54 pm

There is trying and then there is insulting. It's like walking into a Ferrari dealership and telling the salesman you will give him $25k for the car because the economy is tough and you need to make a sale.

To me, an offer like that is beyond insult. To make it worse, how in the world would the guy come to the conclusion that I would ever be interested in dumping the card for nothing. I've never offered the card for sale but have talked about it a lot. Every time I've talked about, I usually mentioned that it is the one card in my collection that I will not sell unless I one of those rare can't turn it down offers, like say $25k, comes along.

This person has obvious read these posts to know I have the card, so why in the world, after reading what I've written about the card, would he think that I would ever consider selling the card for pennies on the dollar? Calling it an insult is being kind.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by v117collector Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:06 pm

ItsOnlyGil wrote:The offer is an insult.
I translate it as:
"If you are absolutely desperate for cash, have no credit, and no clue regarding where to go to sell your card for a reasonable amount, I will offer you ..."
The offerer appears to have an IQ equivalent to his shoe size.

I wouldn’t try to over analyse or even get offended. It is obvious the potential buyer is testing the seller on how he/she would react towards a low ball offer. A “counter offer” from the seller could determine if the buyer is truly interested.. Not responding due to over whelming emotions would be a mistake knowing you have the card in hand, thus you’re in total control of the situation.

Not every one thinks alike when making offers, so determining IQ level would only be bias. Anyone else experiencing this? 10
v117collector
v117collector
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

http://tinyurl.com/58gpxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:11 pm

I was just talking in general about how low ball offers don't bother me all that much. Your mother is a whore is an insult, I'll give you 100 bucks for your e107 Plank is just dumb/annoying.

But yeah, in your particular situation Jay, I can see why you would be offended.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:02 pm

sabrjay wrote: Every time I've talked about, I usually mentioned that it is the one card in my collection that I will not sell unless I one of those rare can't turn it down offers, like say $25k, comes along.

I think pricing a card fairly cuts both ways. Which value is closer to reality? $1000 or $25000?

I hear what you are saying though. If someone made an offer of $1000, I would just ignore him or say no thanks. If someone is offering to sell at $25K, I would just ignore him or say no thanks.

Everyone is this hobby develops a reputation. There are those who are known for being fair or generous. There are others who have reputations for trying to get over on their fellow collectors on each and every deal.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Bicem wrote:Your mother is a whore is an insult, I'll give you 100 bucks for your e107 Plank is just dumb/annoying.
Quoted for truth.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:45 pm

the 1k offer may be a little lowball, but i don't think it's an outright insult. jay might feel that way because the thorpe is his pride and joy...kinda like you take things more personally when it's something closer to u.

the person who made jay the offer obviously doesn't know him well. an sgc20-30 thorpe is probably around 2k today(?) give or take from my noob knowledge of the sporting news issue
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Anyone else experiencing this? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Anyone else experiencing this? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:14 am

the closest comp to mine was a SGC 40 that sold a few years ago for over $7k.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:20 am

cccc wrote: an sgc20-30 thorpe is probably around 2k today(?) give or take from my noob knowledge of the sporting news issue

I think we have identified our lowballer. And calling himself a noob is a nice touch. flaglol
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum