Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What % of Graded Cards are Altered?

+6
Jim Rivera cfc1909
sabrjay
crazylocomerk
Square_Frame_Ramly
ItsOnlyGil
fisherboy7
10 posters

Go down

What % of Graded Cards are Altered?

What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_lcap17%What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_lcap44%What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 16 ]
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_lcap31%What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_rcap 31% 
[ 11 ]
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_lcap8%What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_lcap0%What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_lcap0%What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 36

What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Empty What % of Graded Cards are Altered?

Post by fisherboy7 Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:15 am

What percentage of PSA/SGC/Beckett/GAI graded vintage cards do you think are altered in some way?

Vote and discuss. righton
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Empty Re: What % of Graded Cards are Altered?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:28 am

This goes to the heart of our hobby, for many collectors.
The input of those in a position of awareness would be as interesting as what the average collector thinks. These "aware" individuals would include top collectors, auction house operators, grading companies, and others.
"If an alteration is not detectable - does it exist" is the question I wrestle with.

And don't forget the ever popular "What % of ex or better vs. vg/ex or less are altered and graded"
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Empty Ha,Ha....

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:58 am

great poll...

I voted less than 10%...i believe 3-4% are altered.

No way any more than 10%.... insane

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Empty Re: What % of Graded Cards are Altered?

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:20 am

I would have to agree with Mark. Would be interesting to know, but at the same time, I think I may not want to.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:49 am

Obviously, the percentage is going to be much higher for EX and better cards. I also went with less than 10% since you are factoring in all the lower grade cards. If we are talking ex and higher, I'd say 25% or more

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:43 pm

I agree with Jay-the % goes way up somewhere around grade 6. Remember wiwag! And with todays technology many cards are getting past graders.
How many graders are veteran collectors?
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:11 pm

That's a pretty scary thought (higher grade cards). That's why I'll stick to low grade collecting. There's less of an incentive to alter those cards, since the payout isn't as great.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:47 pm

Is it a factor of grade, or is it the card's value which is the incentive for alteration? I believe that any card valued above $1K is a strong candidate for improvement attempts. And many below that value.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:02 pm

At times, collectors send me boxes of new purchases just to look at. More then often though, I get a few cards at a time, which has been going on for several years. Just from my experience, I would say 20-30% on all levels...and many of these are slabbed. Probably higher for grades 7 and above. Keep in mind, I'm not grading or examining their beauty...I'm specifically looking, in depth, for alterations.

Then again, I live in an altered card world with in an altered state of mind.

* Edited to say - These percentages are for prewar only and pertain to the top four grading companies. This is more than just a guess...pretty much straight data.

Last edited by onlychild on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:06 pm

I'd guess a lot test work is done on lower grade cards for practice before actually trying out something on a truly expensive card. These are less likely to get slabbed than work that is done on spendier cards.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:36 am

Scary stuff indeed.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:44 am

I believe that it is less than 1%, with 99% of the alterations in the EX and above category, in the vintage category. Since I think that EX or above is a small % in the total of vintage cards graded.

I just got to thinking that the vintage stuff is only a small faction of the total graded cards, which means the newer stuff that gets graded is probably 99% EX or above, which probably means the 3-4% is realistic.

This being said I have complete faith in SGC, real leery about high grade PSA, the other companies to small of data, obviously PRO is 99% altered, (they tilt the scales if they count for the %).

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:44 am

i wouldn't put all grading companies under 1 umbrella, as that might skew the perception. of course cards in pro, gem, csa, elite, blah blah yada yada have a >98% of being altered. the other 2% would be for the grandpa in pennsylvania who found 15 t205s in the attic, asked his grandson to do a search and somehow PRO popped up and they sent it there...but those good cards would soon go into legit holders eventually.

a few years back beckett/gai had those "pre-grade" option where they'd give u a pre-slab grade based on looking at the card for all of 15-20 seconds, and you can EASILY slip recolored/retouched cards that way...like what alteration can they find with a loupe and yellow bulb light in 20 sec??? i think baker/gai messed up there.

i believe currently if u really wanted to you can slip about 20% bad stuff through PSA...yes they're that horrible, and getting worse by the day. they did me a great service with the new label by putting the numerical grade under the abbreviated VG/EX etc...so i can avoid those cards totally.

sgc is sgc, but getting less consistent. maybe they have a a couple new graders. i'm not that impressed with the cards lately.

here's an example of a psa card. this card used to be mine in a 2MK holder. i don't disagree with the VG grade, however u can still make out the pencil "e93" on the back bottom of the card...like how do u miss that? i can see it on the scan with my 13.3 monitor! and they pull this stuff consistently these days! if they can't spot a pencil mark then how do they have trimming/shaving/soaking...

What % of Graded Cards are Altered? E93_be10
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:15 am

edited out a pic of my family

Last edited by cccc on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Empty Quan...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 pm

Very cute.... righton

Oh, and yea the kid is adorable also. Razz

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:07 pm

better you rant at us then them. Didn't know you spawned a future card collector. Congrats.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by david slomer Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:24 pm

If you take into consideration, card cleaning,the great grey area,I beleive there iis a higher then 10% factor on the higher demand cards.I am a purist and beleive this should be banned. I saw a card cleaner in Cleveland, take a Tip Top Bread card,Honus Wagner ,where you could no longer see the front image and turn this card into a 10,000 item. Dave S

david slomer
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What % of Graded Cards are Altered? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down