Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards?

+8
cccc
yawie99
TheBig6
Square_Frame_Ramly
sabrjay
lamontcarter
ItsOnlyGil
fisherboy7
12 posters

Go down

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Empty What do you like most about collecting vintage cards?

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Tell us you like most about collecting vintage cards.

Is it learning about the old time players? Finding that hidden gem? The comradery? Making some extra $? Or something else.

What is it that keeps you going in this hobby of ours?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Empty Re: What do you like most about collecting vintage cards?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:47 am

There's so many things.

- I like the free form my collecting has taken. It allows me to design my subsets as I choose.
- I like being able to draw from all eras of baseball history for my overall collecting.
- I like coming across the card which to many is a piece of crap, but when I first see it, it is Ohhh !!
thanks Zach, tonight I saw:

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Zach10

Why the little red shooting x ?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Empty Collecting a Set

Post by lamontcarter Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 pm

I love the chase of trying to complete a set. Love checking off another card on my checklist when it arrives in the mail. I love the feeling of seeing a card on ebay or the b/s/t that I need and the anticipation of getting it. I think that has helped me stay on course in my quest to complete the monster. I don't think I'll every be a type card collector. When I complete my run of T206's I"ll probably move on to another set and just focus on that one.

Scott
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Empty Re: What do you like most about collecting vintage cards?

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:20 am

lamontcarter wrote:When I complete my run of T206's I"ll probably move on to another set and just focus on that one.

That's cool Scott, do you have any sets in mind for when you're done with the Monster?

boobies
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:52 am

The main reason I got into vintage cards is because when I was a kid, my favorite cards were the All-Time Greats subsets and reading the backs of team cards and seeing the names of record holders for those teams.

After finding the first price guide in 1980 and the Mitchell and Eckes Baseball Cards book, I naturally gravitated towards tobacco and prewar cards. I loved the t201 and t205 sets because of the bios and stats. The lack there of is why t206s never really captured my collecting attention.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Empty All of the above...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 am

I love looking for the gem in the hobby. Finding sellers who list in wrong cat. or going to a tag sale, estate sale.
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:01 am

I have so many emotions when trying to answer this question.
Baseball was my whole life from the age of about 7 yrs old until I was 16 then girls, cars etc. got the best of me. I also grew up during a great era in Baseball History during the 50's and 60's and saw many of the greats play when the game was the National Pastime.

I have always loved history and I love old stuff, so the cards and the History all kind of of make it a no brainer for me. Whats better old stuff than 100 yr old baseball cards of the Greats of the Game.

To answer the question, it satisfies a passion.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:51 am

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? 4443410

"That's cool Scott, do you have any sets in mind for when you're done with the Monster?"

That's a good question Ben. I haven't thought about it much but gun to my head I'd probably say either the 33 or 38 Head's Up Goudey's. I just have to own this card some day, for some reason it makes me smile whenever I see it.
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:07 am

Hmmm...I think it's a combination of B/S/T'ing and appreciating the aesthetic aspects of cards. I'm not even close to being the penultimate capitalist, but I often find making a card transaction - no matter if they're coming or going - more satisfying than actually owning the cards. It's weird. And I'm not at all a student of cards, but I really enjoy them from a visual perspective. Plus it's cool to think about them as a tangible connection to the early days of the game, its greats and its fans.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:53 am

i can probably answer it a little better now that i've kind of move on to another hobby...watches. it's not about the card or the watch, more along the line of the history behind them, learning and discovering the various aspects...soaking up information and knowledge. then finally having the card/watch in your hand and actually applying what you've learned into the observation and enjoying the piece.

i've gradually spent less and less time on the cards forum and ebay because frankly the talk bores me amongst all the other bs i have to wade through...bleh yuck . i'm rather enjoying the new hobby where stuff goes down over time and no one's consumed with money.

hope that makes a little sense, i usually get groggy around midnight.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:57 am

yea and i also agree with yawiiiiieeee when it comes to pre-war cards...it's so cool to think these cards were made and circulating when these guys were actually doing their thing....delahanty, cobb, wagner, etc etc. that's a big thrill for me since i love baseball and its history.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:29 pm

Quan,
If your Collecting old Pocket watches, I would love to look at some of your collection.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:46 pm

It's amazing to be able to buy pieces of baseball history for relatively low amounts of money. There are cards that might only have a few examples but can be bought for a few hundred dollars (or less). Although prices have jumped, cards are still affordable, compared to collecting other rare stuff, like art, vintage cars, etc.

What keeps me going... I have too many cards. With the current prices it's hard to pick up much now. I'd quit if I wasn't so far along with my type set.

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 pm

What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Civili10

This is Zach's card that Gil likes.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:13 am

Nothing beats the feeling of owning an important prewar card from the 19th century or turn of the century, although I understand that owning a beautiful timepiece is nothing to sneeze at either.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 am

I still have my Swatch watch from the 80s. I bet that worth some serious coin now mr T

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:27 pm

I like the rarity, mystic and challenge they present. I like the artwork/photography and the stories behind the more obscure issues. I like how they represent a time when America had a certain class that's lacking from today's society. I like the star players of the dead-ball era who have become almost legendary today. I don't collect cards that remind me of my childhood. I don't collect cards of players that I enjoy watching today. I don't collect cards that are a dime a dozen and can be found at ANY given time on ebay.

For me, pre-war is really the only thing that can hold my interest.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100What do you like most about collecting vintage cards? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down