Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Powers question regarding tragic death.

4 posters

Go down

Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Empty Mike Powers question regarding tragic death.

Post by scott elkins Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:24 pm

I have often wondered why many do not consider Mike Powers' tragic death an "on the field death"? Below is a link to where you can check out more info.

Personally, I have always liked the T206 Powers card and considered his death a tragic on-the-field death. Just wondering what others' thoughts are - was this an "on the field death", or not? question

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Doc_Powers

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Empty Re: Mike Powers question regarding tragic death.

Post by sabrjay Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:59 pm

Never knew he was Sockalexis' best friend. You learn something every day Shocked

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Empty Louis Sockalexis

Post by rhettyeakley Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:53 am

Jay, Both Powers and Sockalexis played together at Holy Cross, they also had another teammate there that played with Sockalexis in Cleveland, john Pappalau. My brother (Rhys) has an imperial cabinet of the Holy Cross team showing all 3 players together, pretty magnificent piece obtained from the estate of one of the other players on the team. We both grew up in the Old Town, Maine area and obviously heard a lot about Sockalexis while growing up there.
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Empty Re: Mike Powers question regarding tragic death.

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm

I didn't know how Powers died-I did learn something today! I too like the T206 card -in the catchers gear.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:08 pm

Jim, I have always thought the Powers card looks really good with the Fact. 649 Sweet Caporal Overprint back as well. When I was collecting the 150 Series only cards, I had around a dozen Powers Fact. 649's. For some reason, I even liked the Powers card with the OP back more than with the Hindu Brown back.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Mike Powers question regarding tragic death. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down