Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MLB Trade Deadline

+2
sabrjay
fisherboy7
6 posters

Go down

MLB Trade Deadline Empty MLB Trade Deadline

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:24 pm

Some big names on the move today....

The 3 way deal with Manny going to the Dodgers is the biggest, and I can't say I'm that surprised. Bay goes to the Red Sox. The Sox will miss Manny's clutch hitting in the playoffs, but Bay is a very good replacement. And the Pirates get a bunch of prospects. Boy, is that Dodgers OF crowded now or what? Pierre, Kemp, Ethier, Andruw, and now Manny....I don't know how they'll work that one out. Kemp needs to play full time. Andruw will likely be nailed to the bench.

Griffey to the Chisox....don't see him making much of an impact there.

Pudge to the Yanks. Great move by the Yanks, gives them a reliable catcher with Posada done for the year.

What are your thoughts on all of this activity?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

MLB Trade Deadline Empty Re: MLB Trade Deadline

Post by sabrjay Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:51 pm

Hated seeing Pudge go the Yankees. I don't think Detroit got enough for him but it's better than what Twins usually do when they have a star in the last year of a contract. Bay is a good pick up for the BoSox. Griffey may be just enough to keep the Pale Hose in front of the Twins Sad

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:44 am

MANNY being MANNY...i hope he does his thing in la. pierre and jones should ride the bench.

chisox getting griff...bleh. not sure he can play cf anymore.

pudge is just a stopgap for this year...he's a shell of his former self with the roids.

i love angels getting texeira...legit WS contender now.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MLB Trade Deadline Empty Joann

Post by jmk59 Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:02 am

OK. But the Yankees are in a pennant race. They have no catcher. They have no real option at backup for catcher (despite Molina's good night last night) and no clear opportunity to get a catcher.

So the Tigers send them a HOF catcher that is having a solid year and showing some stamina - maybe more than the Yankees could have hoped for? And the crafty and savvy Detroit Tigers got ... an inconsistent set up man that is so hyped and amped for this opportunity that he gave up a lead with 2 HR's in the 8th today.

Wow. Dombrowski usually has more on the ball than that when it comes to negotiating. How in the world did he manage to get so little from the Yankees this time?

J
jmk59
jmk59
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:11 pm

jmk59 wrote: And the crafty and savvy Detroit Tigers got ... an inconsistent set up man that is so hyped and amped for this opportunity that he gave up a lead with 2 HR's in the 8th today.

I am soooo happy that the Yanks got rid of Farnswoth. cheers

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

MLB Trade Deadline Empty Way to go Bombers

Post by nolemmings Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:03 pm

Farnsworth and Hawkins both sent packing--that's what I call addition by subtraction.

Manny will be large to huge in LA--I always thought that was a great fit for him.

Boston makes out extremely well--Jason Bay is no chopped liver.

Tigers--yuk. Gotta do something about that pitching. Sayonara to Sheffield this off-season--and strongly consider trading Mags for a very good arm.

Chisox really didn't add much with Griffey. It may light a fire under Konerko, who will be the one losing the most ABs, but it could backfire if things start to head south for the team. Look for blow-ups and grousing if this team drops back, although with the young Twins going on the road for most of August (Republican Nat Convention in the Twin Cities), the Sox should be OK for awhile at least.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:43 am

cccc wrote:i love angels getting texeira...legit WS contender now.

I think so too. He puts an already powerful offense into over the top, among the elite of the AL. Kendrick, Figgins, Hunter and even Garrett Anderson are playing well lately. Vlade's had a dip this year but still is a dangerous hitter. Combine that with their pitching, which is imo the best in the majors, and it's scary. Lackey, Santana, Saunders and Weaver all pitching extremely well, and Shields and K-Rod handling the 8th/9th, this team is gonna be tough to beat.

Bowman Chrome Billingsley auto in your avatar, wow Very Happy Chad's in the middle of a crazy season, is the value on your card going up in beckett monthly Question
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:13 am

ben the angels have gotten lucky this year but they will win the al west and they needed that big bat to go up against bosox tampa et al...i love the texeira rental for kotchman/AA pitcher. As they say banners fly forever!

Dodgers are still my team though and Manny has been a big boost. Too bad they don't have a great offense or Billz would get more recognition with the Lincecum/Volquez/Webb crowd. I've had Billz & Kemp rookies for a few years and been a big supporter. Too bad our manager is teh suck and keep playing overpriced vets over the more talented young players.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
MLB Trade Deadline Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100MLB Trade Deadline Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down