Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out.

5 posters

Go down

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Empty Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out.

Post by ItsOnlyGil Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:22 pm

Such as are frequently encountered with the Buchner Gold Coin set. I always thought of these as undesireable. Well, the Gold Coin cutouts often have bold dark lettering superimposed on the images.

Mastro's Lot 1 currently prouldy displays similar cutouts along side of legitimate set examples in a rarer (n321) card set.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=84456&LastLotListing=Lot%20Gallery&CurrentRow=1

What are your feelings about display cut outs?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Empty Re: Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out.

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:16 pm

First off, that N321 near set is absolutely awe inspiring. One of my all time favorite sets, and to see 39 of them sold at once is pretty amazing.

As for the cutouts....

I'm not sure what to make of them. The auction description says they were cut from a poster, and I believe it. Terry Knouse had a bunch of N321 "proofs" a while back, I wonder if they're the same thing, just with a nicer cut. Neither has the advertising at the bottom.

Mastro auction "cutouts":

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. 79687cccc
As you can see, there's a bit of black border showing on three of these 'cards'.

Tik's "proofs":

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Image337
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Empty Re: Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out.

Post by dstudeba Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:41 pm

I believe the "proofs" and the "poster cut outs" are one and the same. I have the below example which is slabbed by GAI as a proof. I have seen an example in another collection that was slabbed as a "type III" by SGC I believe. The color and printing are just as nice as the issued cards.

If anyone is interested in getting a group together to go after these, or wants to sell off a few of them, I would be very interested.

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. 88N321_Whitehead_Proof_A

dstudeba
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Empty N321

Post by Comisky Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm

I am with you guys in the belief that these were cuts out from an advertising poster. I have been in love with this set for quite sometime. I was able to acquire my lone example from a Lew Lepsit auction a few years ago. I have provided a scan below. Since then I have only seen two other examples offered. One on ebay that was a PSA1, it went for about $2250. And, the other one was in Leon Luckey's auction, forgot what that went for. When I heard that Mastro was auctioning off a near set my jaw dropped to the ground. I didn't even know one existed! After seeing the scans I have determined that this is my all-time favorite set. The colors and graphics are incredible! I would love to know more about the League, if anybody has information it would be greatly appreciated!

Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. N32111
Comisky
Comisky
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:08 pm

A good book on the league was written by John Spalding a number of years back. I believe it was called Never on Sundays. He has written a number of great books on various California leagues.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Sometimes you come across an advertising poster cut out. Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down