Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends

4 posters

Go down

Legends Empty Legends

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:59 pm

With the passing of Mr. Fritsch, I thought about the greats who have passed our way and how their cards are enshrined now in plastic with a commemoration on the holder. And I recalled Barker stamping his OJs and others, writing notations, etc. almost disrespectfully on the cards.

And I conclude that there is no worse tribute than to encapsulate that which they maintained free. It goes against their grain, or at least mine.

What are your thoughts?
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Legends Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Legends Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Legends Empty Re: Legends

Post by sabrjay Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:07 am

Never thought about it that way before, but slabbing a card from a major collection that was once free does seem to go against the person's collecting style. Sadly, without the slab, there is no to prove that said card came from a particular legendary collection. The perverbial catch-22.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Legends Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Legends Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:14 am

My only Honus Wagner card is this E94. I was told it came from the Don McPherson collection, never had heard of him but I guess he tried to collect one of every card and was not concerned about condition. This card is trimmed across the top.

Legends T206bu10

bow

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Legends Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Legends Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:26 am

The only cards I ever owned that had legendary provenance were all the Minnesota regionals I used to own. When Gavin Riley sold his collection, I bought all the MN sets. The most impressive were the unfolded Peters Meats set and complete set of Cloverleaf Dairy that included cartons with 1961 and 1962 skeds with Cloverleaf and Apple Fresh Dairy, the two brands of milk you could get the cards on.

The Cloverleaf set was impressive in that the panels were full size, cut perfectly beautifully mounted in a photo album with photo corners so there was no damage to the cards. Hopefully it is still in tact.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Legends Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Legends Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:48 am

Lee, Don DID trim a lot of his caramels to fit into the old tobacco album pages (unfortunately).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Legends Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Legends Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum