Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever watch Antique Road show?

+2
yawie99
Square_Frame_Ramly
6 posters

Go down

Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Empty Anyone ever watch Antique Road show?

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:44 am

I have 2 tickets to the Hartford CT show in August. I am trying to think of something to take that would get me on TV. Looks like i may bring my M116 set and hope they like it enough to put me on.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Empty Re: Anyone ever watch Antique Road show?

Post by yawie99 Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:01 am

I don't even collect antiques, but love that show. You'd probably have to play really dumb to get cards on, though. I have seen baseball memorabilia on the show, but information about cards seems so readily available compared to some of the obscure stuff people show up with. Good luck, though. That'd be awesome if you did get on.

bunny bunny
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Empty Re: Anyone ever watch Antique Road show?

Post by crazylocomerk Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 am

Are they slabbed? I'm sure in order to get on TV you'd have to take some unslabbed cards.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Empty sorry...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:51 pm

just seeing post to my thread....yes all my m116 cards are slabbed but if i show them the Cobb i may get some interest.

I wanted to take my step-fathers Civil War musket but he sold it a few weeks ago for around $5000...i held it my hands and wow!!!! I got chills thinking back 140 years ago what these soldiers went thru to load and fire those things

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:54 pm

I went to the Antiques Roadshow about 3-4 years ago and I took all of my prewar cards...none of them were slabbed and they showed no interest in them at all. Simeon Lipman who I think was with Leland's at the time said he thought they were great, but that he knew I knew too much about them for him to make it interesting on the show.

On a side note we were each allowed to bring two different items and I also took some of my political nodders (Kruschev and Mao) and the lady who I showed them too just started shaking them...I grabbed them back from her and told her that's a good way to break them. She then told me they were "contemporary" items valued at about $10 each. I laughed and asked her if Ted Hake was there and the guy working next to her said that Hake wasn't with them on the Omaha stop...he then said that he knew they were not contemporary but that he didn't think anyone at the show knew much about bobbleheads and that I probably knew more than any of them. I sold the pair on the Nodder Exchange for about $2,500. I honestly think that the roadshow has some real experts and then the rest are just dealers who may have a specialty here or there, but for the most part I take that show with a grain of salt when they tell someone their vase or painting or whatever would bring xxx dollars. My mother who is a doll collector (and a bigtime collector at that - people used to pay her for her appraisals of their collections) took some of her dolls to the show becasue she wanted to meet the doll guy who was somewhat of an idol to her, and she came away with the same impression that I did in that these people really don't know as much as they claim - the guy couldn't identify a pretty easily recognizable doll without my mother telling him what it was.

Go, have fun...it's a lot of time standing in line so whatever you take make it manageable. It was a fun experience even if I did come away a little disillusioned. I forgot to mention that one of the guys I see on the show all the time usually appraising pop culture memorabilia was trying to figure out a date on a beer sign - I could clearly see the NRA sticker on the back of the sign. Rolling Eyes
slidekellyslide
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.freewebs.com/nebraskadiamonds/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:28 am

Dan's experience is pretty much the same that I've heard from other people. To get on the show you really need to be ignorant, feign ignorance of the value of what you have. You need to have a great back story for the item.

I had friend make it on TV. He bought a house and remodeled it. Nailed to on of the studs was a Civil War presentation sword given by the Confereate States. The sword was appraised for about the same price as what he had paid for the house. My friend also noted that when word got around about what he had, their "experts" all turned into a bunch of vultures trying to get him to consign it to them. So basically the show is a vehicle to make easier for these dealers to find new items. Granted, they won't get them cheap, but its easy work.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by slidekellyslide Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:11 am

If I remember correctly there were signs posted that said the appraisers were not allowed to make offers on items, but every single one of them had a business card on the table in front of them.
slidekellyslide
slidekellyslide
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.freewebs.com/nebraskadiamonds/

Back to top Go down

Post by lamontcarter Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:43 am

I'm watching a rerun of AR on PBS from Houston in 2006 and they just showed a lady with 6 unopened 58 Topps Football cello packs. One had Johhny U on the front and another had Bart Starr. They were appraised at $500 to a $1000 a piece with the appraiser indicating that if she had one with a Jim Brown rookie on top it could be worth several thousand.

She said she has 312 of them................yikes Shocked
lamontcarter
lamontcarter
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Anyone ever watch Antique Road show? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum