Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are cards in terrible condition worth it?

+2
bowlingshoeguy
Aron V
6 posters

Go down

Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Empty Are cards in terrible condition worth it?

Post by Aron V Sun May 11, 2008 2:47 pm

I enjoyed all the responses to my last topic about color sets. I am still going for t206's mostly but I'm taking the advice from people here to buy some t205's and maybe some t202's and t201's too. I was wondering though. I prefer to get cards in pretty bad shape so I can afford to buy more than just one at a time. But what's better. One really nice card with no creases and sharp corners or 10 cards in terrible condition? I don't mind the creased up ones too much but I'm thinking down the line if I ever need to sell them I might be screwing myself by getting all these bad condition ones that nobody else wants?

Like these ones for example...

Are cards in terrible condition worth it? YOO55
Aron V
Aron V
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Empty Re: Are cards in terrible condition worth it?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun May 11, 2008 3:05 pm

I believe that there is always a decent market for cards of all condition. Not everyone can afford the nicer looking cards so if you want to collect the cards you have to but lesser condition cards. I have always believed that all grades go up or down aproxmately the same %, it is just that you hear about the high end stuff because of the bigger dollar value they bring.

I personally prefer 10 lower grade cards to the 1 higher grade I could get at the same price. Always buy what you enjoy, that way if the market falls out you always have something you like.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Empty Re: Are cards in terrible condition worth it?

Post by ItsOnlyGil Sun May 11, 2008 3:47 pm

I don't think that buying low grade cards is financial suicide at all. The membership of this forum in no way represents the typical card collector, who in my estimation, is more involved with enjoying his hobby than in its investment potential. If I am correct, there will always be a large demand for lower grade material.

Personally, I also purchase off condition cards. Primarilly because of the same reasons which you do. And as you do, I do not exclusively buy low condition cards, but maintain a ratio which yields an overall Gilset grade of vg+.

But I bet that if I was to analyze the cards which I own, I would find that the higher priced cards have a net grade below that average, and the lower priced cards are above it. But probably by less than you would think.

I find your beaters attractive, and if I did not have so many other collecting thrusts underway, would enjoy assembling a similar set of t205s.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Sun May 11, 2008 3:49 pm

It depends on what catches your eye. That lot has 3 HOF'ers! Condition is not the only factor that matters when buying a card. Personally, I enjoy buying beat up rarities. Don't worry, they won't lose value.

-Randy

(P.S. I have that lot in my ebay!) ninja
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Aron V Sun May 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Oops, I should have said that the t205's in the scan aren't mine (yet haha). They are on ebay now and I was thinking about if they would be a good buy. They are a good example of how most of my t206's look. I would scan my little collection but I don't have a scanner at home frustrated

I'm glad you guys think cards like that aren't a terrible buy. Right now I don't care about how much I can resell them for, but if I ever have to it's nice to know that I can probably break even.

p.s. how do I get a pic above my name like everyone else has.
Aron V
Aron V
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by arandy Sun May 11, 2008 4:49 pm

To get a picture that you have on your computer to here, go to Profile, Avatar. Then click "Upload Avatar for machine" and hit "Browse". Find the image and hit open. Then click save. You can also get one from a gallery. Hit the "Show Gallery" button and find a picture yopu like.

-Randy
arandy
arandy
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sun May 11, 2008 5:10 pm

I like low condition myself, especially if it still presents fairly well. Another benefit of low grade is that it's less likely that your cards have been altered.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Are cards in terrible condition worth it? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Aron V Mon May 12, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks Randy!
Aron V
Aron V
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary! Tue May 13, 2008 12:28 pm

I think low grade is fun... especially if they make you happy. Will you ever pay for a house with them? No, but at least you had the chance to enjoy them.
Gary!
Gary!
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum