Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surprises in REA?

+5
cccc
3-2-count
Orioles1954
jmk59
sabrjay
9 posters

Go down

Surprises in REA? Empty Surprises in REA?

Post by sabrjay Sun May 04, 2008 1:24 pm

Looking thru the final results there were a few surprises. I thought the Balt NEws Ruth went for far more than I expected. $440k plus juice is huge. $8500 for 8 Risido Cigar Women's baseball cards was crazy. Joan, did you win it or run it up? Thought the e90-1 Mitchell was a bargin. But thena gain, that may just be old school thinking. I was disapointed in the results of the cards I had consigned, but that may be a reflection of a bad economy and a softening caramel card market as most e-card prices seemed to be a bit soft. The uncut sheet set of e93 always amazes me as to how cheap it sells for. Granted, it's not small and easy to store or display, but it's pretty much unique and an incredible looking piece. $6500 is an absolute steal in opinion. The m101-5 Thorpe went for $37.5k Shocked I am so glad I was able to get this cardbefore it's popularity really took off, otherwise I'd have to settle for owning a Sports King card. On a non-baseball note, it seems the craze for the N2 and N36 Indian Chief sets have died off. Prices on the two lots were very low compared to past prices.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Surprises in REA? Empty Re: Surprises in REA?

Post by jmk59 Sun May 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Jay,

I was completely stunned to get up this morning and see what had happened with the Ruth card. Stunned. Usually the big lots don't move all that much in extended time. And I haven't been keeping an eagle-eye on these Ruth cards, but isn't this price a whole lot more than what they've been going for? After being shocked, my first thought was that someday it will indeed surpass the Wagner as the cornerstone card in the hobby.

I put in what amounted to a placeholder bid on the Risidios. I planned to make a semi-run at them, and was thinking maybe $500 or $600 per by the time the dust settled. Those ran up so fast that I was on the bench before extended time even started. They went for so much I'm not sure I should even try to figure out who won them to try to second-buy one. I'd love to have one, but man did they go high.

And I was def thinking of you watching that Thorpe shoot past $35K! Wow wow wow. Good for you. Although you are right - someone got a great deal on the Cobb.

Any other surprises? I guess the last big one for me right now is the K-Bats. I don't know how much these go for, really, but I was a little surprised by these.

Joann
jmk59
jmk59
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Orioles1954 Sun May 04, 2008 2:17 pm

And we wonder why there are so many highly graded E93's out there? Hmmmmmmm

Orioles1954
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sun May 04, 2008 2:59 pm

I was amazed at the final price of the trimmed E90-1 Jax. $20K after the juice??? question
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by jmk59 Sun May 04, 2008 3:11 pm

Tony,

You probably know more than anyone out there where E90-1's are right now today. How much did you think the trimmed Jax would get?

J
jmk59
jmk59
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sun May 04, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Joann -
Not taking into consideration the Sgc-40 Jax in Mastro on 12/13/07 that spiked at $29K ???, the last two Sgc-40''s late last year
ended at, ($20K Sloate) and ($21K Mastro). The latest Mastro auction just the other day had a nice Sgc-40 end at $20.4K
after the juice. Along with the trimmed Jax in REA they also had a presentable Sgc-30 that ended at $16.5K after the juice.
I purchased my Sgc-40 right in line with the values shown for the last few 40's, not taking into consideration the $29K spike
on the Mastro card once again dated 12/13/07.
I guess what's confusing to me is, why would someone pay this amount for a trimmed card when they could receive the same card
in an Sgc 40 holder for the same money. This one just stood out to me as odd. It's not like these are hard to find. One can have
their choice of an E90-1 Jax in almost any auction that pops up anymore.
Maybe it's just me. insane

Tony
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun May 04, 2008 6:02 pm

tony, someone probably think the e90-1 jax can get holdered with a little time and patience? Smile

the balt news ruth doubling in price on the last day is a big surprise...the holmes/holmes jax going over 30k is another monster.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sun May 04, 2008 6:08 pm

"cccc wrote" - Tony, someone probably thinks the e90-1 jax can get holdered with a little time and patience? Smile

Hi Quan -
I was thinking the same thing... It's sad but true...

Tony
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bcornell Sun May 04, 2008 6:19 pm

I heard this morning from the FL consignor of the REA t204's (all but the TTT Moran and Quan's PSA 4 T204 Plank). He said he was happy with the prices - I think he got some very conservative estimates when he consigned them.

My feeling on these auctions is that prices are *not* increasing compared to 6-12 months ago except for the really scarce stuff. This is starting to look like a pattern - the days of 10/25/50% increases year over year on virtually everything are probably over. Amen.

Bill
bcornell
bcornell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :

http://www.t207.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 04, 2008 7:52 pm

Leveling prices give hope of putting a dent into my goal. I was high bidder on the 29 card lot of 1941 Play Balls until the last minute. I just couldn't bring myself to go to the next bid level. I would have kept the Williams and some of the commons, but would have sold everything else. Current eBay sales have been $15-20 for commons in that condition and I couldn't bring myself to pay $40 a card for that group.

Now I am going to hold my breath and hope I can get a CJ Wagner at decent price.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sun May 04, 2008 11:20 pm

sabrjay wrote:The m101-5 Thorpe went for $37.5k Shocked

This is a shocker to me. I don't follow the card or the set, so I didn't even know it went so much. What would you have guessed before the auction began?

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by asphaltman76 Sun May 04, 2008 11:55 pm

King-
I would have guessed more like 20-25k on the Thorpe, but shows how much I know. I also thought I had a snowball's chance in hell at getting the Holmes Jackson for about $8000-10000 (which woudl have been a big stretch money wise for me, but I was planning that amount). But it went for 27K+ ! Would have been nice to have picked it up with the other Holmes cards... Rolling Eyes

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=10235
asphaltman76
asphaltman76
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 05, 2008 1:59 am

I also figured it would go for $20k-25k. Given that an SGC 30 sold privately about year ago for $6k, I guess I shouldn't be shocked.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Mon May 05, 2008 3:25 am

It seems while some prices are stagnant, collectors are still willing to spend big bucks for some of the select cards.

The T206 Wagners in REA and Heritage both set record prices, as did the Baltimore New Ruth. The SN Thorpe price was also very strong. The T206 Cobb w/ Cobb back sold for $64,350. This one was an SGC 1.5 with a lot of surface wear and paper loss. But yet the price exceeded any previous SGC 2 price.

Other cards that I followed with prices that exceeded prices from prior sales are:

T210 Stengel for $40,950
M101-5 Thorpe $43,875
M110 Cobb for $40,950
M110 Wagner for $35,100
M110 Matty for $16,380
M110 Chance for $21,060
Star Player Cobb $11,700
WWG DiMaggio PSA 1 $9,360
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Surprises in REA? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Surprises in REA? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down