Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaking of Plank's

+5
nolemmings
fisherboy7
jmk59
sabrjay
onlychild
9 posters

Go down

Speaking of Plank's Empty Speaking of Plank's

Post by onlychild Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:30 am

I'm running with net54's Plank topic and bringing it here to a not-so-public public board...and would like it to stay here.

It may look a bit different but these look like (edited from "are") the same card. What's missing is a scan of the SGC Plank back. Does anyone have it? My wild guess no one has seen a scan of it.

Speaking of Plank's Graded10

Kevin

Last edited by onlychild on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

http://www.AlteredCards.com

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Plank's Empty Re: Speaking of Plank's

Post by sabrjay Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:23 am

A short Harris card (unbelievable Rolling Eyes ), and it looks like it has a stain on the back too. How much you want to bet that never gets a 7 if it hadn't been part of the Harris collection? How much you want to bet it gets kicked back as trimmed?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jmk59 Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:53 am

I don't think I understand how that can be the same card. The top border looks bigger on the one on the left, but the bottom border looks bigger on the one on the right. So if it's trimmed or whatever I can't get from Point A to Point B - it looks like two different cards.

So PSA graded it 7 with the stain, and the thinking is that the stain was removed before a crossover, right? That I could see. But I'm still stuck on the opposite-different sizes of the top and bottom boarders, unlless that is just from scan shadows somehow.

J
jmk59
jmk59
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 am

jmk59 wrote:I don't think I understand how that can be the same card. The top border looks bigger on the one on the left, but the bottom border looks bigger on the one on the right. So if it's trimmed or whatever I can't get from Point A to Point B - it looks like two different cards.

Agreed. Also, the shade of the blue background appears different between the two cards.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Plank's Empty Not the same card

Post by nolemmings Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:46 pm

there is also more left border on the Harris card.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by hanksta Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:23 pm

Eddie Plank's face looks a little shorter & fatter on the Harris card... bounce

I don't think they're the same card, color and border sizes are too different.

sdbh
hanksta
hanksta
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

http://www.millcitycards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:26 pm

onlychild wrote:
It may look a bit different but this is the same card.

Take another look. They are not the same card.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:49 pm

going by the front scans, i'd say the sgc has the 350 back...totally different cards.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:41 pm

I throw out the color differences since that can be a result of image quality, scans settings, touch-ups etc. I do agree with everyone that the borders seem slightly different in the two pics shown.

Here is the strange thing, I've seen the SGC card with a now very faint stain in the same location...this is not hearsay or second hand info. The scanned color is off, it is an awesome lighter blue. PSA lists a total of four PSA 7 Planks. Does anyone know if the others have a back stain and close to the same borders?
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:45 pm

The top border of the Harris Plank looks too thin to be the SGC card IMHO (not taking into account the colors and other differences). The cards look to be cut "about" the same - the borders are much fuller on the SGC card however and it doesn't look trimmed at the top like the Harris example IMHO.

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:32 pm

no way those are the same cards. The Harris is narrower on the top and wider on the left. You could say that the left got trimmed before going to SGC, but you can't fatten up a border.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 pm

I have heard from reliable sources of some people trimming Cracker Jack cards, then somehow stretching them to make them full size again. Can this be done with T206's? I don't know, as I have never even erased a pencil mark on a card myself (don't believe in it).

The Planks do look "similar" to some degree, except for the top border. The card would have had to have been soaked, stretched or something to get that border bigger. Personally, I have no idea how one would go about this. question scratch However, I know I am at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to knowledge on altering cards (as I have never done it).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Speaking of Plank's Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Speaking of Plank's Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:16 pm

I think if you go through Kevin's tips in the Info Section, he talks about his experiments with trying stretch cards. They proved fruitless. If this info is not in that area, then it was something that he mentioned to me in one of the many emails we have exchanged.

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by onlychild Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:25 pm

After blowing up the pics (huge)....I have made a mistake, they are not the same. You guys are correct.

ah,

but....there is/was another PSA Plank with a stain on back though, that's for sure.
onlychild
onlychild
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down