Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REA wins and comments

+7
Bosox Blair
pro9
BigGuy219
cccc
jbonie
ullmandds
sabrjay
11 posters

Go down

REA wins and comments Empty REA wins and comments

Post by sabrjay Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:54 pm

SO did anyone win anything in the REA auction?

I had one card in the auction that under performed. I think has more to do with the bidding increments. I really think they need to change the ceiling for $50 increments to $1000. Having to increase the bid after $500 by $100 is a huge step if that lot is going to finish around $1k. I am sure there have been many lots where someone would have pulled the trigger on a $50 increment when the bis is at $700 but don't want to for an extra $100. I know they try to have their lots have a minimum $1k value but there are many lots that fish right around that level and raising the threshold for $50 increments to $1k could generate more revenue for them and the consignors.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

REA wins and comments Empty Re: REA wins and comments

Post by ullmandds Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:38 pm

After very quick looksie...some uber rare backed t206's seemed to go cheap(Er)...like the brown lenox back in vg-ex...red hindu duffy for 1K.

Altered Eddie Plank sold for a loss from last sale...I don't see altered/restored cards taking flight anytime soon.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:54 pm

Completely agree about the increments.  On the other hand, sometimes with the larger increments, people wind up reaching with higher bids... works both ways.  But as a bidder, I would rather have narrower increments.

Pete, I remember a couple years ago a PSA 4 Brown Lenox went for 13k so since this one ended up at 7.5k, you're right on target as well.

High grade OJ's have really come down in price as well.  Plus the T205's went very cheap.  PSA 8 (1of1's) used to go for 5k-8k... now they seem to be at 2.5k... wow.

I actually did pick up a high grade OJ because it fit my collection and seemed a tough pose, but not because I thought it was a good investment... to the contrary.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:05 pm

good observation jay, i've always wondered why the increment is set at $100 in those lower values also. a good strategist can definitely try to exploit that. sterling works great with those minimum increments, lots of action and bids.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGuy219 Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:53 pm

When I bid $1000 on the W600 Devlin the other day, I felt I was close. Then when I bid $1400 in the extended bidding I was sure I would have it. Then at near 2 AM when I bid $1800 I thought I was a drunk fool and would be ridiculed for overpaying. Then it went for $1900+ the BP to someone else.

I just had to stop, but I'd love to know who got me!
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pro9 Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:22 pm

Don't worry Chris, you were still a drunk fool. Smile

pro9
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Can't comment on T205s since I have no interest in them (and I'm too cynical to buy "'super-high-grade" T205s anyways...)

I thought the OJs weren't too high, but I agree the Delehanty fetched a fine price. I thought the Rusie was a deal, but could not justify going for it since I bought an OJ Rusie in the last year.

I was bidding on 13 various lots, including OJs, caramel cards, bread cards, autographed items, and display/art pieces. I ran out of room on 11 of those lots, which by my reckoning went at or above recent market value.

From my perspective, a lot of the display/art pieces went for low prices. Like the Pirates piece from 1909. And Lot 841 (the ex-Halper Chicago PL composite) went cheap I thought...half the price it got back in 1999??? And the Colgan's premium of the Giants.

I even got in on the act myself, snagging the Varin aquatint for less than half the price of prior sales:

REA wins and comments Varin_10
Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by t206head Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:01 am

Won a 1906 flip book of Mordecai brown May have over payed,I got no idea. Never saw one looked cool won it for the max I was going to spend...happy day
t206head
t206head
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue6 / 1006 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:38 pm

Missed out on 1926 w512 & 1927 w560 uncut sheets. Someone got a pretty good deal on that lot, a Babe Ruth/Ty Cobb uncut sheet for less than $1K (before juice). Oh well... one year I'll have my first REA win.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2013/398.html
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 am

a little late to this thread but I do agree with the bid increments.

Jamie the brown Lenox that sold for 13k was the same one that sold in this REA. That card should not be in a PSA 4 and SGC would probably give it a 30. There are only 21 known Brown Lenox with a couple that have dupe examples for a total of 23 that we know of. With back prices and the scarcity of brown Lenox under 10k is a steal at any grade.

I always look forward to REA and usually win something. Just won a mixed lot of some tough types for my collection.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
REA wins and comments Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100REA wins and comments Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by wonkaticket Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Jim, is correct it is the same card and was my card. I won the card for 13k in Goodwin on the heels of my other Brown Lenox. I was very disappointed in the cards grade when I got it. It had a heavy crease and a spot of paper loss on the front all of which Goodwin’s team failed to mention. Only calling the heavy crease and paper loss and I quote “a peripheral surface abrasion near the upper right border” i.e. scratch etc. card also had a very forgiving scan.

When I got the card I wasn’t thrilled but the back was very nice in terms of the quality. Since there are so few, and I like to honor my winnings regardless I decided to keep the card. I knew one day I would have to disclose or somebody would disclose and the value would suffer. I commend REA for calling out the flaws and was happy to consign to them and turn some of that disappointment into some newer items that I really enjoy.

Win some you lose some. Since that purchase I have severely cut back on bidding and buying from Goodwin.

Cheers,

John
wonkaticket
wonkaticket
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

http://imageevent.com/piojohn3/collection

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down