Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

albany new york show wrap up

2 posters

Go down

albany new york show wrap up Empty albany new york show wrap up

Post by m-mac Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 am

Went to a show in Albany New York today (Sunday September 22). First show I've been to since, well, possibly 10 or 15 years. Just driving down Wolf after lunch, and I see this large wooden placard, "Sports Card Show Today," on the side of the road in front of the Airport Best Western. Well, I pull into a sketchy parking lot, mosey on over to their small meeting room off the lobby, I pay my $2 admission, and before I knew it, about an hour later, I spent $40, and I was on my way. I loaded up on mid-late 1960s bb and fb commons, minor stars, and hofers, most in excellent technical condition (or near mint in late 1980s terms). I'd have spent more, like on some collector condition 3/$1 specials, but I just did not have the time or the cash. Also, I am just out of touch on prices. It occurred to me that I am probably paying too much on my few purchases on ebay and comc given what I paid here. Unless I just got a good deal today, I paid about what I would have paid in the late 1980s for what I came home with. I'd day there were about 30 tables and 20 dealers. Maybe 1/4 newer stuff and 3/4 more pre-1980. A surprising amount of pre-war vintage baseball.

For the last time of day, and the lack of customers, the dealers were dealing with each other. I just listened a little. I gathered there was a walk in with some great stuff for inventory - they were sort of dealing some of it among each other it seemed. Some older collectors were filling want lists from the 40s and 50s. Someone bought a high priced minor league or odd ball set. The table holders were pretty much adjusting their inventories. I thought a few of the dealers were reasonable with their posted prices, and some were just, well, showing their collections and miserable, not talking to other dealers or customers.

Not sure how they live on cards, but it sounded as if they are pleased with a 20% net in their transactions with customers. But hey, some of you go to these things, and some of you deal, so you know better than me.

Some t205 and t206, a few t202s and 1920s strip cards, a few 1920s exhibits, some silks and pins. One t207. One card and price I recall was a t206 red cobb in sgc20 for $695. The t206 commons were about $40 or so, I recall. I am just too unfamiliar with pricing, since I am not am no longer actively buying. Didn't really notice too much stuff from the 1930s. Lots and lots of 1950s-1970s. That was nice. Not too much 1980s or 1990s. What a change from a show 20 years ago.

I'd go again. Next show is October 27th. Probably won't go to that one.

Would like to hear about your show experiences. A number of important shows coming up in the northeast, none of to which I will go.

m-mac
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
albany new york show wrap up Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100albany new york show wrap up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

albany new york show wrap up Empty Re: albany new york show wrap up

Post by jbonie Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Shriner's is happening in early November, and I will be going for the first time. Need to get a couple cards graded, plus have a misspelling corrected on a slab. I'll be curious as to whether I'll see anyone I know, but I probably won't be there for long - just wander around for an hour or so. I only live 30 minutes away, so an easy drive. People say that the fall Shriner's is better than the spring, so this is about as good as it gets for baseball cards in New England. But it still could be a pretty sad sight. As you mentioned, there are a lack of customers these days.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
albany new york show wrap up Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100albany new york show wrap up Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down