Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Privacy or Transparency?

4 posters

Go down

Which would you rather have in an auction?

Privacy or Transparency? Vote_lcap0%Privacy or Transparency? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Privacy or Transparency? Vote_lcap100%Privacy or Transparency? Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 6

Privacy or Transparency? Empty Privacy or Transparency?

Post by BigGuy219 Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:49 am

Back in the early days of eBay bidders identities were not protected. Live during an auction you could see who was bidding, and at the end of the auction you could always see who won. However, for various reasons that policy has been abandonned. However, you still can see the bidder's history with the particular seller in the hopes of allowing people to self-investigate potential shill bidding.

On the other hand, the auction houses many of use reveal nothing. Various auction houses have been accused, both rightfully and wrongly, of house bids, shill bids, etc. over the years.

Not that eBay or any of the houses actually care what we think, what do you think would be the better policy?

Would you rather have transparency and see who is bidding on what to minimize shill bidding and house bidding?

-OR-

Would you rather have privacy to prevent someone from discovering you're the jerk that stayed up and outbid them at 3 AM on a Tuesday?
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Privacy or Transparency? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Privacy or Transparency? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Privacy or Transparency? Empty Re: Privacy or Transparency?

Post by TheBig6 Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:14 am

I liked it better with the Transparency on Ebay, atleast I could tell the shenankins easier.

I stay up until 3am everynight anyway,
But I have used Gavelsnipe for years, so doesn't matter.

Most of my buys come from Classifieds, Ebay, or Shows
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
Privacy or Transparency? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100Privacy or Transparency? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:07 pm

knowing who are bidding against is a good and bad thing. For those with deep pockets it's probably not good because I know some people will run up bids on them just to try and make them pay more. Or if you see someone you don't like, you could go and run up the price or outbid them.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Privacy or Transparency? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Privacy or Transparency? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Maybe you could know after the auction is over. But it shouldn't be public information. It should only be accessible to registered users. Also, it should be optional to keep it anonymous for those who wish.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Privacy or Transparency? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Privacy or Transparency? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down