Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legendary Leanings

+8
sabrjay
LucasRiley
pariah1107
jbonie
nolemmings
fisherboy7
terjung
ullmandds
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Legendary Leanings Empty Legendary Leanings

Post by ullmandds Thu May 24, 2012 1:31 pm

So does anyone have their eye on anything in the LEgendary auction? In true..."follow the leader" fashion...a 2nd year ruth card is attracting very strong bidding...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=129003&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=1917-E135-Collins-McCarthy-%23147-Babe-Ruth---PSA-VG-EX%2b-4.5

currently hovering around 37K...an incredible price for a non rookie ruth in my opinion.

I'm eyeing the e94 wagner I've been trying to add to my set...but I'm frugal...and am practically at my max...so we'll see.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Legendary Leanings Empty Re: Legendary Leanings

Post by terjung Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm

The Collins McCarthy shows Ruth in a Boston uniform. Anything that does that is going to command some big coin. That said, I was surprised how quickly it shot up.

terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu May 24, 2012 1:59 pm

That E270 Colgans Red Border Cobb is pretty cool. Only the 2nd time I've ever seen that card available.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by nolemmings Thu May 24, 2012 2:10 pm

The E135 Ruth card is very attractive and much more difficult to find than the m101 rookies. It should fetch a pretty penny. Still, I cannot stomach the descriptions these clowns use. Did they hire Stephen A. Smith to write this tripe? Put down the thesaurus and say what needs to be said in 7 words, not 27. "The item's cartophilic credentials are immediately apparent through census report statistics, and they're reinforced by informed discussions of industry lore". Really? Talk about someone in love with the sound of his own voice (figuratively). Give it a rest already--tell us about any flaws, cite a pop report figure or two if need be, and get on with it.

This concludes my morning rant.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 24, 2012 3:02 pm

I think the Boston caption is more critical than Ruth in a red sox uni...as many early 20's issues depict him in the same exact pose...but with ny yankees caption.

I agree that the descriptions in many of these houses is downright insulting...not just legendary...it's most of them!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 24, 2012 3:03 pm

That red border cobb IS very cool...I love the contrast of the dark background. But...it's really not a card...it's like a disc...or something!!!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu May 24, 2012 3:10 pm

Goodwin is going to be out soon... he has already changed the front page of his website. I'll be seeing what's there first before placing any bids.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu May 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Two items peek my interest... uncut strips (the w573 two strips of ten look awfully nice and the nine complete sets of uncut 1920's-40's strips also is intriguing though not completely sports related).

Gotta agree with the disdain for diatribes associated with auction descriptions. English Lit majors must REALLY be looking for work. I like what jbonie posted about the elimination of auction catalogs. Perhaps in the same vein they should limit the characters in descriptions. Of course, then they would read like text messages, or hieroglyphics.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Two items peek my interest... uncut strips (the w573 two strips of ten look awfully nice and the nine complete sets of uncut 1920's-40's strips also is intriguing though not completely sports related).

Gotta agree with the disdain for diatribes associated with auction descriptions. English Lit majors must REALLY be looking for work. I like what jbonie posted about the elimination of auction catalogs. Perhaps in the same vein they should limit the characters in descriptions. Of course, then they would read like text messages, or hieroglyphics.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 24, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm guessing goodwin will be filled with Lee's semi rare back t206's he no longer wants...and other T206's!Smile

I stand corrected...it appears the next goodwin auction will be a "premium" auction...so the July one will be the next T206 auction.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Thu May 24, 2012 3:49 pm

ullmandds wrote:I think the Boston caption is more critical than Ruth in a red sox uni...

Agreed. That's actually what I meant.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu May 24, 2012 5:03 pm

nolemmings wrote:The E135 Ruth card is very attractive and much more difficult to find than the m101 rookies. It should fetch a pretty penny. Still, I cannot stomach the descriptions these clowns use. Did they hire Stephen A. Smith to write this tripe? Put down the thesaurus and say what needs to be said in 7 words, not 27. "The item's cartophilic credentials are immediately apparent through census report statistics, and they're reinforced by informed discussions of industry lore". Really? Talk about someone in love with the sound of his own voice (figuratively). Give it a rest already--tell us about any flaws, cite a pop report figure or two if need be, and get on with it.

This concludes my morning rant.

I love Stephen A. Smith. He has developed a bit of a routine but he is one of the most intelligent sports journalists. I think it would be hilarious if he started writing auction descriptions.

"Supreme historical artifact" is pushing it pretty hard for the E135 Ruth. Yet if the card sold at Goodwin, the description would be five times as long. Brevity may be the soul of wit, but verbosity is the pulse of card sales.

If I had fifty thousand bucks to spend, I might like a long description justifying my purchase as well.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by LucasRiley Fri May 25, 2012 12:32 am

My boring ole tastes run right to that set of 24 graded T206's. Nice bunch of SL's and HOF's thrown in. At the moment it's sitting cheap, and it might fly under the radar of so much high-profile Ruth stuff. (A "Babe Ruth Cast Iron Door Stop." Was there no end to what the man would shill? But hey, more power to him. If someone wants to pay me to put my name on door stops, stop all the doors you want!) laughing
LucasRiley
LucasRiley
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri May 25, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm not a Cobb fan but if I had the coin, this is the Cobb I would be chasing. This is easily the best picture of Cobb that says everything about what type of player he was. That "Don't mess with me" look epitomizes what I think of Cobb as a player.

Cobb postcard
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Legendary Leanings Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Legendary Leanings Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 pm

agreed Jay, that Cobb is sweet, will look great in my collection. Legendary Leanings 283684
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 26, 2012 2:58 am

which cobb? the coin? the disc?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat May 26, 2012 7:25 am

ullmandds wrote:which cobb? the coin? the disc?

no, the other non-card...

Legendary Leanings 129025a-copy_lg
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 26, 2012 8:02 pm

not bad...I still prefer the wolverine postcard(rookie?) portrait...he looks more bad ass...which is what he was!!!!!
[img]Legendary Leanings Wolver10[/img]
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Sat May 26, 2012 8:07 pm

yeah, those are cool looking too. The Seamless is pretty rare though, think there are 2-3 known.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Sat May 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Lots of great Cobb postcards out there.

Here's my copy of his M101-3. The safety pin holding his collar cracks me up.

Legendary Leanings M101-310
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 26, 2012 9:44 pm

I DO love the m101-3...I have one too...but it has way more pin holes!!!! Agreed...I love the clip holding his collar shut...just a great shot...and he actually looks...nice!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat May 26, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm sold on the seemless...it's seemingly spectacular in sheen, shine...and simoleans!!!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Sat May 26, 2012 11:56 pm

Brian

Very cool and the safety pin is priceless
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 am

looks like I got my wags...yay!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:39 pm

these babies should be coming to their new home any day now!!!!!
[img]Legendary Leanings Dietsc10[/img][img]Legendary Leanings E94wag10[/img]
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum