Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set?

+3
scott elkins
3-2-count
fisherboy7
7 posters

Go down

Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Empty Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set?

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:37 am

As we know, there are a bunch of tough cards in the e90-1 set. Any one care to try ranking them in tiers?
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Empty Re: Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set?

Post by 3-2-count Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:30 am

Here's my two cents -

Easiest - Engle, Mullin, Collins, Criger, Wallace, Hartzell fielding, F. Mitchell, Bailey, Baker, Bradley, Bush, Phelps, J. Tannehill, Mcquillan, Bresnahan, Bender, Chase, Leever, Joss port, Stone no hands, Bransfield w/P, Tinker, Mathewson, Stanage, Summers, Chance, Lajoie, Cobb, Jennings, J. Sweeney, L. Tannehill, Schaefer, Heitmuller, Howell follow thru,

Still Easy but not as common - Hall, Gibson front view, B. Brown, Camnitz, Butler, Scheckard, Pastorius, Miller, Bell, Clarke Philadelphia, Wagner batting, R. Thomas, Schlitzer, Jackson, leach batting, Grant, Marquard, Jordan, Corridon, Keeler pink port, Young port Boston, Stone left hand, Bransfield pink no/P, Stovall, Krause, Clement, Dygert, Ellis, Blankenship, I. Thomas, Wiltse, Isbell, Plank, Bridwell, Fromme, Dooin, H. davis, O'leary, Groom, Knight

Tough -V. Willis, Donovan, Karger, Lumley, Overall, Bliss, Oakes, Clarke Pittsburgh, Gray, Hartzell batting, O'connor, Demmitt, Richie, Joss throwing, M. Brown, Barry, Bescher, Bemis, Irwin, Mcintyre, G. Davis, Tenney, Gibson back view, Mcinnes, Unglaub, Leach throwing, Howell ball in glove

Toughest - Duffy, M. Mitchell, Wagner throwing, Donlin, Shean, Walsh, Lobert, Mclean, Dougherty, Stahl, Seigle, Speaker, Keeler red port, Keeler throwing, Young throwing Cleveland, Graham, Sweeney Boston, Upp

Last edited by 3-2-count on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 am; edited 3 times in total
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.32countsportscards.com/collection.html

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:31 am

I do know that some of the rarest, not mentioned in the price guides and books on the set, are the ones that also appear in the E92/E101/E102 sets. For example, Seigle, McLean, Bescher, etc. The Knight is also one of these rarer cards that appears in both the E90-1 set and E92/etc. sets. However, even though the pose is the same in the E90-1 set as the E92/etc. sets, this card has a different colored background. This is the only one with a major difference in the E90-1 set from the E92/etc. sets (between the cards that appear in both sets).

Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Knight10

Last edited by scott elkins on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:41 am

That's a heck of a list there, Tony. Nice job. Would you care to take it a step further and rank the cards on your "toughest" list? And one other thing - I've never heard of a Young portrait Cleveland, I thought it was Boston only and the throwing pose was Cleveland?

3-2-count wrote:Toughest - Duffy, M. Mitchell, Wagner throwing, Donlin, Shean, Walsh, Lobert, Mclean, Dougherty, Stahl, Seigle, Speaker, Keeler red port, Keeler throwing, Young port Cleveland, Graham, Sweeney Boston, Upp
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:45 am

Scott- do you have a scan of the e92 Knight so we can compare it side by side with the e90-1? I wasn't aware of the difference in background color between the two.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:50 am

Here ya go. Also, the E90-1's don't have the pic of the stands in the background.

Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? E92_kn10

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:56 am

Oh that's right I remember now. Thanks Scott. For some reason I always think mello-mint whenever I see that e90-1 Knight pose. Perhaps because it's the most common mello mint. Another difference between it and the e92 pose is that the e92 is cropped to the knees while the e90-1 is a full length body shot. Not sure which version I prefer - both are nice looking.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:09 am

Ben, I think you know which version I prefer!.................. The one with the sunset background of course. Cool

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:33 am

Ben - Sorry about that. The Young Cleveland is in fact the throwing pose you'd find on his E92 Dockman card. I have corrected my error in my list. From the toughest list in order from easier to toughest. Remember, just my opinion, others may differ.

Speaker
M. Mitchell
Keeler throwing
Keeler red port
Graham
Donlin
Seigle
Sweeney Boston
Walsh
Young Cleveland
Mclean
Lobert
Duffy
Shean
Dougherty
Stahl
Wagner throwing
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue18 / 10018 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:47 am

You really think that Mitchell is among the easiest of that group?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:56 am

Hi Jay -
I knew someone would disagree with the M. Mitchell pick. In the last year though Iv'e seen 5 to 6 Mitchells pop up.
Keep in mind these are all nearly equally tough, so from Speaker to Wagner throwing there's not alot of discrepency.
All are nasty tough IMO.

Hi Scott - Long time no talk. Hope all is well. In regards to the cards from the set with the neatest sunset, my favorites
would be Oakes, Corridon and Mcintyre.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:04 am

Part of why you see Mitchell is so much is that it is still the marquee card of the set. Cards other than Wanger aren't going to get the hype that Mitchell gets, so they have a better chance of slipping by unnoticed. I'm just praying I can get my hands an Upp.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:21 pm

It's funny how set's can evolve through the years. Cards from a set that were once deemed scarce years ago can become more readily available as time go by. Although the M. Mitchell is still one of the marqueee cards in the E90-1 set and still tough, there are a large number of other cards in the set much tougher. Also, due to the extreme increase in value the Joe Jackson card from this set has shown the last 8 years or so, and it being considered my many to be his rookie card, I think this now has become the marquee card to own from the set. Yes there's plenty out there, but the demand for this card is overwhelming.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:14 am

i agree with tony the stahl is a very underated toughie from the set that never gets any pub. personally i love the stahl and duffy as their lithos are so different from the archaic drawings of the rest. i'd still take a jax Smile, which i don't think is a tough card.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 am

Personally I would have had Mitchell higher; definitely top 5. But having just completed the set I'm sure Tony has a more up-to-date perspective on things than I do. Not an easy job ranking the toughest cards in the set, so I commend you for your efforts righton

Some of the rarities are great looking cards too. Sweeney and Walsh for example. Speaker too of course.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by marcus0202 Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:34 pm

Pete C. compiled a nice ranking of e90-1, broken down into five tiers: http://www.caramel-cards.com/e901.html He lists Mitchell as the set's toughest card.

Mark

marcus0202
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:36 pm

I beleive Pete's ranking on his website is a bit outdated. For the most part it's nearly dead on, but I can tell you there have been close to 10 Mike Mitchells pop up for sale in the last year and a half between Ebay and 5 auction houses.
Compared to the Duffy's, Stahls, Wagner throwing, Dougherty's, Sheans, Lobert's, Mclean's, Young Cleveland, Walsh's, Upp's, Sweeney Boston, Seigle's, Donlin's, Graham's, Keeler red port, & Keeler throwing that have surfaced in the same time frame, it's not even close.
Again it's still tough, just not as tough as it once was and there's many other tougher cards in the set today IMO.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:43 pm

Frequency of appearance in auctions is somwhat of a bad indicator how rarity. Have you checked to make each of them are unique examples, or just the same few cards getting recycled? Other than Jax, Mitchell is still THE card in the set, so it's goign to get a good turnover rate. Genereally the recycle cards are bought up by big dollar collectors thinking they can put the set together. When discover the difficulty, they give up and Mitchell ends up back in the pool again and you don't see the other rarities because picked up few if any in the brief time they tried to put the st together. Others just rent the card for a short time just so thay can say they have owned the card.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by 3-2-count Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:30 pm

All examples look to be different that have popped up for sale in the last year and a half, other than an authentic example that surfaced
that does seem to be the same card. Half have been in Sgc holders and half have been in Psa holders, with various different grades assigned. They can be seen on VCP's website if your a member.
There's two on Ebay right now. One that I beleive Scott Elkins owned at one time and another in Clean Sweeps Ebay Store.
3-2-count
3-2-count
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:54 pm

The one I owned most recently is the SGC 10 in an eBay seller's store. I have owned 5 or 6 different examples over the years - none better than Good however. Sad

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:15 am

3-2-count wrote:
Toughest - Duffy, M. Mitchell, Wagner throwing, Donlin, Shean, Walsh, Lobert, Mclean, Dougherty, Stahl, Seigle, Speaker, Keeler red port, Keeler throwing, Young throwing Cleveland, Graham, Sweeney Boston, Upp

Darn, this looks almost like my wantlist to complete my set!

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Scarcity ranking on the e90-1 set? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down