Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I was on the News

5 posters

Go down

I was on the News Empty I was on the News

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:41 pm

I had a friend of mine that I grew up with inform me that I was on the CBS News Sunday morning in a story about the declining number of young people in our hobby. I was obviously in my 20's, blonde curly hair with a mullet. I guess I had on a pink shirt and light blue pants (chicks dug the shirt. scratch ).

I had been on the national news one other time when we went to San Fran for the largest show ever in 90 or 91. Both I have not been able to see the footage. Anyone else happen to catch the report?

I have missed most of my 15 minutes of fame, one day I might catch it myself.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

I was on the News Empty Re: I was on the News

Post by cccc Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:27 pm

The national CBS news or local? Maybe you can find it at the appropriate CBS online outlet
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Here is a link, I am at the 1:45 mark it looks like it was at a Thunderbird show in Minneapolis sometime from 1988-91.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7403170n&tag=contentMain;contentBody

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:42 pm

lee hasn't aged a bit!

also, the hobby in in trouble...circa 1990!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Jesus, Lee...nice outfit for a card show...or the roller rink?
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:18 am

Nuthin wrong with a man wearing pink. Lookin' good!
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosox Blair Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:11 am

Way to go Lee!

On a more serious note, I am sooooooo tired of the Dave Jamison guy trumpeting from the rooftops that the baseball card market is dead. What a joke! I read his book and thought the exact same thing.

Yeah - your 1990 Score cards are worthless. So what. Oh, I guess that means the baseball card market is now dead. Hmmmmm...tell that to REA, Legendary, Heritage, Mile High, Goodwin, etc as they continue to have internet auctions in the tens of millions of dollars.

The analysis is lazy and flawed in two critical ways. First, the focus is on the wrong market segment - the market segment that has little value to begin with - newer cards. This segment "crashed". Of course it did...these things were never worth the paper they were printed on. Second, the focus is on a near-dead method of distribution - the card show. No doubt every bit of that slack and more has been picked up by internet sales, including eBay and the auctions I mentioned.

What passes for journalism now is so ridiculously sloppy that it infuriates me. Garbage.

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:43 pm

I started collecting cards in 1983 and haven't been to a card show since probably 1987, so that's 25 years ago. According to Dave Jamieson, I have since left the hobby. No doubt that card shows are now a dying breed, as they no longer make sense for anyone to attend them, but the hobby seems alive and well - just changed.

I believe there's kids who still collect packs of cards today - they may not go to shows, but the cards still seem to be for sale. I hope the hobby doesn't die off due to lack of interest. However, prices seem to be soaring recently, so how is that explained? Kind of like coin collecting, people seem to find vintage cards at a more advanced age.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
I was on the News Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100I was on the News Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: