Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?!

+4
pariah1107
sabrjay
fisherboy7
ullmandds
8 posters

Go down

call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Empty call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?!

Post by ullmandds Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:17 pm

You guys will have to excuse me...but...I'm kind of a grammar/punctuation freak...and this one has bugged me for a long time!

As much as T206's have begun to annoy me...IS IT USE-IT...OR OOZE-IT? I ALWAYS HAVE SAID USE-IT...AND IF THIS IS CORRECT...WHY DOES EVERYONE SEEM TO PUNCTUATE UZIT...WITH AN...I HAVE "AN" UZIT FOR SALE...SHOULDN'T IT BE "A UZIT?"

THIS REALLY DRIVES ME MAD...PLEASE HELP ME...SOMEONE?!?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Empty Re: call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?!

Post by fisherboy7 Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Similar to what you might have said to yourself infront of the mirror at age 13.

"EWWWWW....ZIT!"
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Empty Re: call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?!

Post by ullmandds Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm not sure that answers my question...maybe we need a survey...if anyone will respond?

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:25 pm

I've always heard it pronounced you-zit. As for writing, the grammatically correct form is "an Uzit" because the word starts with a vowel. When a word that starts with a consonant you use "a" except when starts with an "h". Don't my why on that one. I never understand that one and messes me up all the time.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm not sure I feel about this, Jay. "I have an uncle"..."I have an umpire"...fine...how about...I have an ukelele? Or is it "I have a ukelele?!?!" U nouns are hard to think of?

Are there no exceptions?

I'm not ready to accept defeat yet?!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Quite the conundrum. Always thought the "t" was silent like depot, or ballet, then "uzit" would be like the machine gun, uzi. Now I'm confused.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:35 pm

I found the following description:

Indefinite Articles: A and An

The indefinite articles are used when we are referring to an unspecified thing or quantity. We use them when we don’t know (or don’t care) which thing we’re talking about.

There once was a sheep.

I don’t know which sheep it was – don’t know its name or where it’s from, or anything about it – so I can’t say the sheep.

We use a before nouns or adjectives which begin with a consonant, or when U sounds like a Y, or O sounds like a W.

ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Therefore...I believe the following to be true:

If UZIT is pronounced ooze-it...then I have an uzit is correct.

BUT

If uzit is pronounced Use-it...then I have a uzit is correct.
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Too many rules. I'm switching to German
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:36 pm

In my opinion, Pariah was on the right track there when he said it is pronounced like "Uzi". However, the "t" would not be silent. A silent "t" is a french pronunciation and I can't imagine the "t" would be silent in this one because the word isn't french like "ballet" is. Therefore, I vote for Ben's interpretation of "Ew-zit".

Another common mispronunciation is Nap Lajoie. As far as Nap Lajoie goes, I happen to know how to pronounce his name correctly. It is french, it's kind of like "la-shwah". That is one that always trips people up, and for a long time I thought it was pronounced "la-joey", but it is actually more like, "la-shwah".
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:27 am

Couldn't sleep... had to think about this! It seems logical the term "uzit" is from the czech term "uzit se", "to taper", in english, or "uzit si", "to come into its own, enjoy, enjoy oneself, live it up". This from the cruelest translation of czech to english without those punctuation marks over the damn letters.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:38 am

ha funny i woke up this morning and this exact thought was on my mind...thx pete for the thread!

i've always pronounced it as "U-zit" like uzi, i frankly don't like the sound of "Use-zit"...so i'll keep saying it my way even if it's wrong.

la-joe-eh...la-joy mallet
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:39 pm

OK...if in fact the correct pronunciation is ooze-it...like "Uzi"...then to say I have an uzit is correct...and I will get over it...but I'm still going to say use-it!!!

"I have never had the privelege of owning a Uzit backed T206...and I never will know the joy !of ownership"
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:16 pm

ullmandds wrote:

"I have never had the privelege of owning a Uzit backed T206...and I never will know the joy !of ownership"

Speaking of anal, it's spelled "privilege" yes
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:17 pm

pariah1107 wrote:Couldn't sleep... had to think about this! It seems logical the term "uzit" is from the czech term "uzit se", "to taper", in english, or "uzit si", "to come into its own, enjoy, enjoy oneself, live it up". This from the cruelest translation of czech to english without those punctuation marks over the damn letters.

Nice one, Ty! Thanks for the etymology lesson.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:25 pm

thanks Jamie...my computer told me it was misspelled...I just chose to not care! You have to pick your battles, right!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:28 pm

OOze-it sounds funny so I declare it is Use-it. End of story. machine

You shall all assimilate,

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Just glad it is not the plural form or side effect of "ouzo", that stuff makes me feel like "uzit"!

"We Are 138"
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Ok then...as Lee has declared the correct pronunciation of Uzit to be...Use-it...not ooze-it...or Uzi-it...when discussing whether one has one in his/hers collection...the correct indefinite article is "a"...as in:

"I have a uzit backed Cobb in my collection"...or..."Does anyone have a t206 with a uzit back for sale/trade"...or..."Money is like an arm or a leg...uzit or lose it!"
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Like this

call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Item_311

call me anal...but...HOW DO U SAY UZIT?! Item_310
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:13 am

man o man...no wonder I could never find one!!! The only back I never owned!!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum