Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should women play sports?

+3
yawie99
sabrjay
cccc
7 posters

Go down

should women play sports? Empty should women play sports?

Post by cccc Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:19 am

i was watching the fifa finals women soccer...and these are 2 of the top 3 or 4 teams in the world, and the play was so choppy and the passing was so sloppy and subpar i was actually getting frustrated watching. my expectations wasn't high, but this was worse than MLS-soccer quality. UGH! i've never watched any of the WNBA but i'd imagine them to be the same (nba sinking money into league every year)...

so really, why even play? i mean youth, high school, college recreational is fine...but professionally do men find them entertaining enough to actually pay money?
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

should women play sports? Empty Re: should women play sports?

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 pm

I don't know about other women's sports but the WNBA isn't that bad. They are much more fundamentally sound than men in the NBA because they aren't relying on dunks all the time. It's a very different style of play.

You also have to remember that women's sports, especially internationally is in it's infancy. There isn't a large core of women getting pumped into athletics the way boys are. So they have a smaller pool to pick from and many great athletes never play because they weren't allowed or had no desire to play.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:39 pm

sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I thought it was an entertaining match, but I wouldn't pay money to see or regularly follow a women's pro league, regardless of the sport. And for what it's worth, the pub I was at yesterday had a nice crowd, but nothing like what you'd see for a match involving two of the big EPL clubs.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

Post by ValKehl Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:12 am

While I watch lotsa sports on TV, I don't go to many games. However, over the years, I have been to lots more women's basketball games (Wash. Mystics & UVA Lady Cavaliers) than I have men's basketball games (Wash. Wizards & UVA Cavaliers). I agree with Jay that the women are more fundamentally sound, and they don't display massive attitudes/egos - plus, the women's games are much more affordable.
Val

ValKehl
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:23 am

I support all women's sports, but restrict my personal viewing to beach volleyball.

should women play sports? Beach_volleyball_ban
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:55 pm

Although I am taking a break from the board, I am going to chime in on this thread just because it's an area of expertise.

The women's game is definitely improving, it is still young and the major footballing nations are still developing their squads. There was a lot of very nice passing and possession in the final, which was much nicer to watch than in years past.

Much of the credit goes to Pia Sundhage who convinced her team to play a much more attractive brand of soccer. Yet Pia went too conservative with a 4-4-2 formation and should have stuck with the 4-3-3 previously used. She had the players to do it with Cheney, Rodriguez and Wambach up top.

Sundhage also waited too long to substitute her players. Rapinoe was exhausted and should have been removed 20 minutes earlier. The Japanese coach went with three forwards and made some really ballsy substitutions and that kept them in the match. The USA team wasn't outplayed, but outcoached. And yes, they missed some good opportunities but still managed a couple goals.

I'm happy for Japan, we didn't need a victory as bad as they did, and they played like a team possessed.
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:04 am

i'm a big fan of women in general. i really gave it a good shot with the sports thing, just can't get into it.

surprisingly the last time i was captivated by women sports was olympics curling Shocked . that was pretty badass seeing the intensity.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by pariah1107 Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Hell yes women should play professional sports. I believe Title Nine has had a dramatic effect on women's athletics in general, raising quality and competitiveness.

One of the greatest moments in sports I can recall was Julie Moss crawling towards the finish line of the Ironman, nearly dead of exhaiustion, after losing the lead in the last 200 meters. And not to add to the controversy by what is a sport, but I'll root for any women in NASCAR, or Indy; Danica Patrick, Jennifer Joe Cobb, Angela Cope, and Sarah Fisher.
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
should women play sports? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100should women play sports? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down