Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2

3 posters

Go down

Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Empty Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:08 pm

I find it interesting that the vast majority of people focus their collecting efforts on pre-WW1 cards.

My focus covers the whole spectrum, but my preference has always been for the Deadball Era. I would think that given today's fan prefence for HRs and high scores that they would gravitate towards Goudeys and Playballs rather than the T and E cards.

It's not like the 20s and 30s are lacking for star power. You have Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, DiMaggio, Williams, etc. The only thing it may be lacking is well known pitchers.

I'd like to hear why you prefer pre-WW1 Deadball Era over the 20s and 30s lively ball era. question

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Empty Re: Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2

Post by scott elkins Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:24 pm

For me it is the nicer early candy and tobacco cards. Those little colored specimens are works of art! righton

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 pm

I do not. Of the pre-WWII eras, I like the deadball era dead last. I certainly prefer the 19th century era and the cards from that period.

Imo a problem with the twenties is you've gotta be made of stern stuff to enjoy most of the sets which are available.

However, the 1930 - WWII cards have many interesting aspects to them that have apparently been missed on the hobby's first tour through the Gum years. For example, fascination with the 1935 Goudey set has clearly not been fully developed. In part because with the 4 on 1 format and puzzle backs, the set is a bit complicated.
Also, this past year or so has polished our hobby's appreciation for hand cut cards through acceptance of sets including w555, Orange Border, 1910 Colorized Portraits, Notebook and other cut outs as well as the fact that the grading companies have accepted cutout boxes as grade worthy items.
This opens up much 30s and 40s material for focus, much of which has been passed on to date. Food product cards some of which range from standard size through full page size may be found to generate new emphasis. For example -
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 7swans11
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Alison11
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Alliso11
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Aviati10

None of these are my cards (mine are much nicer), but the food issues have been pretty much ignored todate, and with the new "respectability" which cutouts are enjoying, potential may exist in these.
I bet there are several areas of 30s/40s cards which were not fully explored on our hobby's first pass through this era.

Gil
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:56 pm

I love the Wheaties panels. I was always partial to my complete run of Wheaties. My favorite was the 1939 100 years of baseball history issue. Lots of neat info. The complete boxes are really something to see.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Why pre-ww1 and not pre-ww2 Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum