Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD...

5 posters

Go down

WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Empty WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD...

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:45 am

Not graded PSA 6 (OC) maybe close to (MC). I would love to buy this card but even if the corners are nice with no creases the centering is way off.

I have seen PSA grade cards (OC) that were not even close to how much this card is (OC)....i guess its the grader. Razz Razz Razz WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... 0fd6_110

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Empty Re: WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD...

Post by sabrjay Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:49 am

I don't know if this is still the case, but you used to be able to submit cards and request that card be graded without a qualifier. This usually meant a 2 grade drop. Cards with qualifiers would get killed, price wise, and enough pressure was put on PSA to offer the option of not having a qualifier on the slab. Not sure that card would grade 8. Can't tell from that picture, but that is most likely what happened.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Empty oh...ok,

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:00 am

i see...but with my 20/20 vision i believe this card would never be an 8. The corners are nice but not worth an 8. Without a doubt its a psa 6 but what would SGC give it?

i say a SGC 50....i assume no creases or wrinkles. scratch

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by yawie99 Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:15 am

I'd have to check PSA's site, but the centering tolerance for an unqualified 6 is probably pretty wide. I think 7's can be 70-30, maybe even 75-25 if the card was submitted by a favored dealer/collector meets PSA's nebulous "eye appeal" standards. So 6NQ's could be given 80-20 leeway. This card seems to be in that ballpark.
yawie99
yawie99
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/yawie99

Back to top Go down

WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Empty I wasn't so lucky

Post by nolemmings Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:34 am

Actually, I bought it slabbed, and I'm sure the centering got it to me cheap:
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... 16m10110
But I'm happy with this little 'ol SGC 40 for Smoky Joe:
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... 16m10111
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Empty yea...see,

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:42 am

The Ray Morgan has the exact (OC) as the Wood....and the Psa 6 Morgan has better corners. mallet frustrated flaming mad shooting wow
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by scott elkins Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:12 am

Wood is notorious for being OC in this set. I had a PSA 8 O/C example that I sold about a year ago. The centering was a tad better than the example Mark shows in the PSA 6 holder however (even with the qualifier).

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100WHY IS THIS SMOKY JOE WOOD CARD... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down