Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems Upgrading

5 posters

Go down

Problems Upgrading Empty Problems Upgrading

Post by BigGuy219 Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:14 am

Before college I would buy pre-war beaters and mid-grade 1950s. I was working part-time, relying on birthdays and Christmas, and I was so very happy just to own any example of the card I wasn't very discerning. This was before grading was everywhere, and I'll be the first to admit I had a very bad eye.

Well fast forward ten years (and boy, did it go fast) and I'm doing all right. Cost of living is low in Florida, so I can't complain. Can't speak for Brian over there on the Gulf Coast, but here in Jacksonville it's dirt cheap. This last year I was able to spend more on cards than I once earned in a year. For the most part I got graded examples I was pleased with, but still picked up beaters where it was necessary (M110 Cobb, N300 Delahanty, etc.).

However, I am having the hardest time upgrading. I bought a T206 Matty portrait 3 VG that I'm happy with, but the 1 PR is still sitting in my box. I feel sickly ill whenever I consider listing it on eBay.

Here's another recent example. I have a couple low-end T206 Lajoies whose VCP is $350. A nice CJ Lajoie in a 3 has been offered to me for about $400, which has been on my want list forever. On paper I could dump the low T206s and even if I sold well less than VCP the CJ would only be $100-$150 out of pocket. Yet, again, I feel sickly ill when even contemplating it.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm less a collector, and more a hoarder. I can remember where I got every card. I can remeber the dealer, the conversation. Some of them were gifts. It's just so hard to imagine parting any of them. Even cards I purchased in error when I was young like a CJ JIMMY Walsh and a T207 SHANO Collins that have no business whatsoever being in my collection cannot find their way out the door.

Some of you are older and have been on the financial rollercoaster. Any advice on how to go about upgrading?

Also, does anyone know the producer of Hoarders: Buried Alive? We might have a show here.
BigGuy219
BigGuy219
All-Time Greats Champion

Trader Points :
Problems Upgrading Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Problems Upgrading Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Problems Upgrading Empty Re: Problems Upgrading

Post by Bosox Blair Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:48 am

BigGuy219 wrote:However, I am having the hardest time upgrading. I bought a T206 Matty portrait 3 VG that I'm happy with, but the 1 PR is still sitting in my box. I feel sickly ill whenever I consider listing it on eBay.

Here's another recent example. I have a couple low-end T206 Lajoies whose VCP is $350. A nice CJ Lajoie in a 3 has been offered to me for about $400, which has been on my want list forever. On paper I could dump the low T206s and even if I sold well less than VCP the CJ would only be $100-$150 out of pocket. Yet, again, I feel sickly ill when even contemplating it.

I'm going to encourage you to get rid of the lower-grade ones after you upgrade (I'm definitely not talking about low grade generally - you have some very cool stuff, including that great Delahanty). If you are worried about not recovering what you want from eBay, here's a suggestion - offer the card for sale or trade on Full Count and N54. That way if it sells, you get what you want out of it and it goes to a good home. And you might be pleased with what gets offered to you as a trade too!

You can do it - sell...or trade!

Bosox Blair
Bosox Blair
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Problems Upgrading Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Problems Upgrading Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ullmandds Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:12 pm

I can kinda relate to this predicament! One of my first vintage cards I purchased...in fact I believe it was my first is a t206 white cap matty...purchased for $2 in the early eighties...it is f-g...pretty beaten...but beautiful!!! I aquired a replacement t206 white cap matty a few years ago in a t206 lot purchased in one of Lew's auctions...and it was a beauty. I had it graded and it got a sgc 70.

In comparing the two it was like looking at Elvira compared to J Lo!!! But I ended up selling the 70...and I still have my first...and most likely always will!
ullmandds
ullmandds
East Coast

Trader Points :
Problems Upgrading Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Problems Upgrading Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm

From my personal experience, never under any circumstances, part with cards that you are still sentimentally attached to. I sold off my collection in 1992 and for the most part I don't regret it. The pangs of regret I do have are for getting rid of certain things that were sentimental to me. Unless you are a true hoarder, over time, you'll become less attached to most of your older cards and it will be easier to sell. It's also a lot tougher to sell sentimental cards when you are flush with cash and don't have a real need to sell them.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Problems Upgrading Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Problems Upgrading Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Chris,

I don't see it as as problem. As Blair pointed out, if you can't get a price you are comfortable with, don't move it. They have more sentimental value than an actual dollar.

I am with Pete on his story, my first vintage card was T202 Bresnahan/McGraw, I have since purchased other copies including a few more of this card and a few higher grade. The one I still one is my original purchase.

My suggestion is if you have sentimental value, make sure you are comfartable with a sale or trade before moving the card.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Problems Upgrading Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Problems Upgrading Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down