Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How well do you know the players you collect?

3 posters

Go down

How well do you know the players you collect? Empty How well do you know the players you collect?

Post by sabrjay Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:08 pm

This is mainly geared towards set collectors since HOF collectors know those players pretty well.

I've always loved the history of the game regardless if it was about the superstars or the unknown player. I think this is why I've always been set collector. I've been running the historical fantasy baseball league for awhile now and I even though I thought I knew who most of the really good players from the 19c were, I've learned about a lot of other really good players and one year wonders that I never knew about.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
How well do you know the players you collect? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100How well do you know the players you collect? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

How well do you know the players you collect? Empty Re: How well do you know the players you collect?

Post by pariah1107 Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:22 pm

I set collect strip cards. I agree, when set collecting I nearly enjoy spending $40 on a common over spending $400 on a quality HOF, because I spend more time learning about the more colorful characters, and strange stories in the game. Players like my icon on this forum Pickles Dilhoefer; aside from being one of the great names in the sport, he played two years in the majors for the Philadelphia Quakers/St. Louis Browns. This was the only one card issued of this player (1919-21 w514).

Pickles was the second of a tragic trio of teammates (1916 Portsmouth) who passed away in the prime of their careers. These teammates included Ray Chapman, killed by a pitch thrown by Yankee Carl Mays in 1920, and Austin McHenry who after hitting .350 in 1921 (2nd in the league only to Rogers Hornsby) was diagnosed with and later passed away from a brain tumor (November 1922). Pickles passed away February 1922 from typhoid fever.

A sad chapter in the history of baseball, but of great significance, the Chapman beaning led to many changes in the rules ushering in the live-ball era. It was also speculated that McHenry's tumor was caused by the effects of a beaning in 1916.

Last edited by pariah1107 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too morbid)
pariah1107
pariah1107
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
How well do you know the players you collect? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100How well do you know the players you collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

How well do you know the players you collect? Empty Re: How well do you know the players you collect?

Post by cccc Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:02 pm

funny story, i've always admired nap lajoie and try to collect his stuff. found out last year my brother-in-law's boss is like the direct great grandson of nap himself. he has some cool nap setup and memorabilia in his office.

(ok just reread what i wrote, maybe not that funny...)
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
How well do you know the players you collect? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100How well do you know the players you collect? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down