Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

m101-5 question

2 posters

Go down

m101-5 question Empty m101-5 question

Post by sabrjay Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 pm

I know that the Thorpe is found only in the m101-5 set and is only found with a blank back or a Famous & Barr back. Is this case for players that are only found in the m101-5 set?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
m101-5 question Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100m101-5 question Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

m101-5 question Empty not exactly

Post by nolemmings Mon May 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Jay, theoretically, Thorpe should be found with a Standard Biscuit and Morehouse Baking back as well, the former far more likely to occur than the latter.

There are 6 advertisers for m101-5; however, 3 of them appear only on the first twenty cards in the set: Block & Kuhl, Gimbels and Herpolsheimer. Thorpe won't be found with these backs, but those twenty players will have m101-5 cards. Strangely, Famous & Barr is just the opposite--the first twenty players will appear in m101-4 only. Only two, Standard Biscuit and Morehouse Baking, appear to avoid this anomoly and have all 200 cards in both sets, but I'll have to check my notes on Morehouse--there are just so few of those out there.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry for the brain cramp--no coffee this morning. I was focused on advertisers whose cards appear in both sets. Holmes to Homes and Successful Farming are two additional advertisers whose backs appear only on m101-5 cards. Thus, Thorpe should appear in these sets as well. They are soooo scarce however (in the five toughest m101 sets), that landing a particular player is very remote.

Last edited by nolemmings on Mon May 03, 2010 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : braincramp)
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
m101-5 question Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100m101-5 question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

m101-5 question Empty update

Post by nolemmings Sun May 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Jay,

I was perusing the SGC pop reports the other day and saw where they have twice graded a Standard Biscuit Thorpe, once assigning a 30 and the other time a 40. Just thought you'd want to know that Thorpe with Standard Biscuit has been confirmed.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
m101-5 question Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100m101-5 question Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

m101-5 question Empty Re: m101-5 question

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down