Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimmed?

+3
sabrjay
browncow75
jbonie
7 posters

Go down

Trimmed? Empty Trimmed?

Post by jbonie Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:28 am

Question:

When a card is a bit smaller than the holder, does that mean it's trimmed?

Obviously, PSA says "no", but I look at these links and wonder... couldn't someone have lopped off a sliver?

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=13389
http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=13390
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Trimmed? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Trimmed? Empty Possibly, but...

Post by browncow75 Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 am

My thinking is, since there is SOME variance in the size of T206s based on how the factory cut them (oversized borders) PSA may leave a little extra space in the inserts for such cards. These may have been ones that were "undercut" from the factory. Just a theory!

Brandon
browncow75
browncow75
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Trimmed? Empty Re: Trimmed?

Post by sabrjay Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Size variance is the great cop out but the vast majority of cards that are short are trimmed. We can all thank Jim Copeland and the insane prices he was willing to pay for high grade t206s back in the late 80s. People would scour shows looking for oversized t206s to trim and resell to Copeland or one of his buyers.

Another good tip off to a card being trimmed was if a t206 was labeled "Harris Collection". As proud as PSA was of slabbing that collection, they are now trying to make that collection go away because it has become widely known in the hobby that most of those cards are trimmed. Now, when a Harris Collection card is return to PSA for the potential half grade bump, the Harris Collection notation is not put on the new slab. You can't tell me PSA doesn't know there is a huge problem with those cards. There is no other legit reason not to want to carry over the Harris Collection designation.

The really sad thing about PSA is that their two signature itmes, the Gretzky Wagner and Harris Collection are known for being trimmed.

I do think that at some point in the future, like in stamp collecting now, a premium will be paid for oversized cards. They are very hard to find now because most have trimmed down.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Trimmed? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks for the awesome feedback. Also, what do you think of the Delahanty in the REA?

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=13175

I have been gunning for it, kind of as a "grand slam" play (I'd have to dump one of my other cards to foot the bill). But I look at the bottom of it, it is cut at a real funny angle down there... granted, a lot of n172's have funny angles, but doesn't the bottom kind of look like a trim? Any opinions on this? Is it a "buyer beware" situation?

Thanks so much,

Jamie
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:00 pm

As for the Delahanty, I am no OJ expert, but if the corners looked that crazy, I'd be willing to bet that SGC looked at it pretty carefully. For me, I'd trust SGC that it was a factory cut. I know that no TPG is infallible, but with pre-war stuff, SGC is the best out there for determining whether trimming has occurred. In other words, I'd give the Delahanty the benefit of the doubt on this one. That said, if the cut bothers you, then don't go after it. If there is one thing that I have learned in this hobby, it's that if something bothers you about a card, it is likely to be the only thing that you focus on once you have it.

Though I am not an OJ fan as a rule, I actually do like that one. Good luck - whatever you decide.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Trimmed? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:10 pm

When it comes to OJs, I wouldn't even worry about the corners. The Delehanty has a nice strong image, and that is what advanced OJ collectors look for. The pink color will have a bit of a negative impact on price, but that is a strong image and will get a strong price to go with it.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:44 pm

jamie that delahanty is fantastic. i call that his "praying" pose Smile. he's almost glowing there with the strong photo contrast against the pink tint.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trimmed? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys, I will have to consider how far I go for it. I really like the card, I'm not the only one I'm sure. I don't think anyone is going to get it for cheap. Probably not the wisest to say what I'm bidding on on a public board, but I think I can let go if I lose the auction. Looks like prices with be real strong across the board. Glad I picked up the O'Rourke last year. Had never paid so much for a card, it felt crazy at the time, but was probably a good idea. Dela is a big gamble, I'd have to hold it for a long time. Probably someone with much deeper pockets will win the card, but they won't get it cheap Wink
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Sat May 01, 2010 3:37 am

I think that it was a good call, terjung, and thanks for being the point man.
I find the bow on the right side objectionable, but I assume that the manufacturer did too.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Trimmed? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 am

Unbelievable, but I managed to come down with the card Very Happy

Thanks everyone, for all your help and advise.

Jamie
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 am

sick! delahanty is one of my top 3 fav players all time pray (there's the card in smiley form)

you can consign the o'rourke right back to rob for next year!
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Trimmed? Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Trimmed? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Sun May 02, 2010 11:26 am

sabrjay wrote:

I do think that at some point in the future, like in stamp collecting now, a premium will be paid for oversized cards. They are very hard to find now because most have trimmed down.

There are trimming issues in stamps? I would have thought the perforations on the stamps would not making trimming an issue. Of course, I know nothing about stamps at all, so I am likely way off.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Sun May 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Yrp, there is trimming in stamp collecting. I don't think it is a problem with coin collecting yet. Where there big $$$ involved, scam artists will find a way to make money off of it.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down