Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi, I'm Jamie

+3
bowlingshoeguy
Square_Frame_Ramly
jbonie
7 posters

Go down

Hi, I'm Jamie Empty Hi, I'm Jamie

Post by jbonie Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi, I'm Jamie. I like to collect cards. I'm 33. I used to collect modern rookie cards from the eighties and nineties and stuff when I was a kid. I guess they're all pretty much worthless now. Anyways, I wouldn't pay anything for them, but I guess some people still like them. I have made some money buying and selling cards, mainly, low pop commons. A lot of people don't like that racket, and I can understand why. Honestly, I don't think I even really know what a "PSA 10" is or why the card inside the holder is really "gem mint" or different from any of the other cards.

I certainly couldn't tell a gem mint card from a mint one if my life depended on it. That's why we have experts, right?

I currently own only two cards of much value, both high-grade prewar cards. I'm bidding on another one in REA, but would have to sell one of my current ones to get it. So I'll still only have two by the time I'm done, even if I win it.

Looking forward to being part of the board.

Cheers,

Jamie
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
Hi, I'm Jamie Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Hi, I'm Jamie Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Hi, I'm Jamie Empty Re: Hi, I'm Jamie

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:46 am

Welcome Jamie, glad to see a new vintage card collector here. Also, not a thing wrong with flipping a card here or there to make money and buy more vintage cards. That's how 90% of collectors are able to buy vintage cards for their collections. Feel free to browse all the areas here and join in discussions no matter what the topic. Would live to know what you collect but I understand if you want to keep that private.

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Hi, I'm Jamie Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100Hi, I'm Jamie Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Welcome aboard. I second Mark's opinion about flipping. If I didn't flip there was no way I would have the collection I have today. 5 years it was easier to do and make a profit but it still can be done. Make sure you educate yourself on what you are buying and try not to buy blindly.

Have fun with your collecting and feel free to ask questions when you have questions.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Hi, I'm Jamie Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Hi, I'm Jamie Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks Lee and Mark,

Yeah, I really do love collecting - the cards fascinate me and such. I consider it a wonderful hobby. But I do try to do it in a practical way where if there is something I want, I try to pay a reasonable amount for it and not go (too) overboard, simply because I need them to be an investment, too.

I respect the people who are really out there, trying to build sets off of ebay buys, hunting down cards, attending flea markets, making finds, going to shows, etc. But I don't do any of those things. Nevertheless, it's a little lonely just collecting alone so it's nice to have a board with a community. This seems like a really nice board.

So I will share with you my "collection":

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2009/34.html

and I also own a common that is a T206 PSA 9

I wish I could post the photos, but I can't figure out the system! But that is my whole collection, pretty much, at least for vintage cards (I still own some of the modern stuff I grew up with that isn't worth much).

Anyways, what do you guys collect? I see, T202's and Ramly's? Interesting stuff. Did you see the super high grade T202's and the PSA 8 or 9 Ramly in REA?

Jamie
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:52 pm

wow, a couple nice cards. i started out the same way as you...but never considered going the MINT-GEM MINT prewar road. would be great to afford a mint example of a prewar cards but there are just so many other cool prewar cards out there. curious to hear your thought process....
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:04 pm

What can I say? I bought the T206 a year or so before the set registry was made, so I got really lucky on that one. It's not like I was a visionary or had any idea the value would go up, I just liked the card. I thought it was nice. Same thing for the O'Rourke. I just looked through the auction and thought, wow, that O'Rourke is really outstanding. I'd never bought a low pop HOFer before. Only commons. So I thought I'd give it a go. I remember, as a kid, I was always getting ripped off by some dealer who'd offer me a fraction of the price because they didn't like the condition of the card. This corner slightly bent, or whatever. Now that it's in the case, who can argue? The first tobacco card I ever got, I traded half my collection for. The kid said it was worth $100 but it was only really worth ten. That was a bummer. Now there's so much research and card sales information, it's way better. Sure, the hobby still has it's problems, but it at least gives people like me a fighting chance...
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm

so i see you are in the quality camp, not quantity Smile.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by jbonie Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Right! Very Happy

But I totally respect those who do the opposite...
jbonie
jbonie
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Square_Frame_Ramly Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:59 am

Nice.... Shocked

Mark
Square_Frame_Ramly
Square_Frame_Ramly
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by crazylocomerk Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Those are two nice cards to own! Wow!

Anyway, welcome to the board Jamie.

I'm strictly a T216 People's Tobacco card collector and I am also working on an E94 set (in low grade). I have 35 T216's and 16 E94's. That's the extent of my collection. I'll be 33 in June.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
Hi, I'm Jamie Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100Hi, I'm Jamie Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by evelynz8735 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:23 am

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

evelynz8735
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Hi, I'm Jamie Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Hi, I'm Jamie Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:27 am

Everyone is welcome here. There a just a few rules that need to be followed, one of which is no links in your signature unless it's to a your personal site showing off your collection.

Thanks
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Hi, I'm Jamie Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Hi, I'm Jamie Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content