Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wonder what this statement means?

5 posters

Go down

wonder what this statement means? Empty wonder what this statement means?

Post by TheBig6 Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:08 am

I like reading period text and was reading the back of T202's and I came across this text on the back of a speaker card. I wonder what the sentence means that states speaker could easily hit 400 if he would leave the automobile alone. Any Ideas?. I love reading old baseball slang such as "he can hit, bunt, push, and Poke" Sorry, my scan is so light.
wonder what this statement means? Speaker2
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
wonder what this statement means? Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100wonder what this statement means? Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

wonder what this statement means? Empty Re: wonder what this statement means?

Post by scott elkins Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:08 am

I guess they mean he needs to excercise more to gain speed - running where he needs to go, instead of driving one of those fancy horseless carriages!

scott elkins
Inactive

Trader Points :
wonder what this statement means? Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100wonder what this statement means? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:49 am

That horseless carriage is gonna be the ruination of the base-ball. It'll make all the players fat and lazy.

Jay "Sofa Softie" Behrens
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
wonder what this statement means? Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100wonder what this statement means? Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Im not sure about that interpretation. Speaker is #1 in doubles, lifetime. You don't get there without taking the extra base. And although he doesn't make the SB top 50 cut, he is near that, and still above Frankie Frisch, Willie Mays, and other notables. His SB/CS ratio is better than 75%.

These are not the credentials of a player lacking in ability in getting down the line. However, he is the top hitter who has never finished a season at .400.

Could it be that as good as he was, the feeling is that he had too many other interests, and did not apply himself to the game, as maybe Cobb did? Yeah, Speaker the Slacker.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
wonder what this statement means? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100wonder what this statement means? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:55 pm

But that card was not issued yesterday, it was issued in 1912. Speaker only had two full seasons at that time. In 1911 Cobb beat out Jackson .420 to .408. Speaker hadn't hit over .340 yet.

I think that this statement is simply an early recognition of Speaker's potential.
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
wonder what this statement means? Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100wonder what this statement means? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

wonder what this statement means? Empty Perhaps Speaker was injured in a auto accident

Post by vintagecatcher Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:34 pm

If I had to guess, I would say that that quote might be in reference to the fact that perhaps Speaker missed some playing time due to having been injured in an auto accident. Several of the early deadball players had well documented mishaps with their vehicles.

Patrick
vintagecatcher
vintagecatcher
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
wonder what this statement means? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100wonder what this statement means? Right_bar_bleue

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqzw1e/thevintagecatcher/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum