Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards

2 posters

Go down

Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards Empty Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards

Post by fisherboy7 Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:39 pm

As Lipset puts it, unidentified items that appear to be cards but cannot be identified may be called "cinderella" items. For a while I thought my Niles card was just that, but now it appears to be an Orange Border (albeit possibly from a 2nd series). However, true "cinderella" cards do exist and will show up at auction once in a blue moon. Just like this Archer card which was in Lipset's Nov. '07 auction:

Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards 1911an10

Interesting card. Lets see what the auction description said:

Lipset Auction Description wrote:One of three similar cards found in the 1980's. The card, which is very much in the style of the Sporting News cards, measures 3 3/8" x 1 7/8 and shows a black and white photo of Archer throwing with the caption "JAMES ARCHER Catcher - 1911 Chicago Nationals" in three lines. The rear has "A Picture Given with Every 5 CENTS In Trade at..." And then the words continuing the sentence "ANY Confectionery" in a purple rubber stamp. There is a similar rubber stamp to the left saying "National Circulation System DUBUQUE IOWA" .The card has a light stain to the upper right of the front and is otherwise excellent. As rare as it gets.

As described above, this is one of 3 cards found in the 80's. Anyone seen or know about the other two? There have also been other M101-5 lookalikes found, but they might have been even larger in size (and really cool looking). I recall a Matty and a Meyers in this mystery "set", one of which a board member owns I think. Some interesting 19th century cards of unknown origin have turned up from time to time. I recall a portrait card of Welch card that looked sort of like a Kalamazoo Bats, but had no advertisement or distinct markings on it.

I don't know about you guys, but this topic really intrigues me, so if anyone has stories or scans about other "cinderellas", please show & tell!
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards Empty Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards

Post by nolemmings Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:36 pm

Ben,

One of the other two is Arthur "Solly" Hoffman. I have a scan, but would have to get permission to post it here (although it has been posted on net54 a time or three). What has made me skeptical of these cards is the front caption reference to the year. Both cards, Cubs by the way, say "{position} 1911". I know of no other MLB set that displayed the year on the front in this fashion (I realize Zeenuts show the date though). Supplements could have a date certain and others might show stats on the back, but it's almost like they are showing cards of players in the past by giving us year like that, at least it seems so to me. On the other hand, the Hoffman card has a different purple stamp on the back, for "Louis Plamandon", so who knows, maybe these were made availale to a variety of advertisers--- I just won't commit to when.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Mysterious "Cinderella" Cards Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down