Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1874 results are in

2 posters

Go down

1874 results are in Empty 1874 results are in

Post by sabrjay Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:39 pm

We had some interesting happenings this time around but nowhere near the activity of the season before. I guy hoarded pitching while another hoarded starting fielders Razz All in all, I think we all learned a bit more about how the sim handles certain situations and team line ups.

Right now Sean Brennan and his Philadelphia Southworth club is leading the overall championship having won 2 seasons so far.

1874 results

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
1874 results are in Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1001874 results are in Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

1874 results are in Empty Please tabulate what we have learned about how to deal

Post by TheRiddler Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 am

effectively with the Sim to date. And the apparent inconsistencies (if any) so that we can all feel that there is a specific team configuration to seek.

One observation which I'd like to offer relates to my pitching experiment which started last year.

In the '73 Sim season my staff consisted of Cummings + four no-name pitchers:
Fleet, McDoolan, Greason and Jones.
This worked out well.
Cummings had his typical good year.
One of the no-names, Doolan, was selected by the Sim to be a main starter. Doolan in MLB only played during 1873 and got in 9 innings with a 3.00 ERA.
For the Sim season, he got 156 innings with a respectable9.54 ERA.
The other 3 no-names also got a total of 160 innings and a cumulative 10. ERA.

Thus emboldened, I set out for the '74 season to improve on that. Evil or Very Mad
I added a second real starter to Cummings, this was Brainard and 3 no-names: Ryan, Collins and Bechtel (actually Bechtel does have some good pitching experience).

Cummings had his good year, Brainard too had acceptable performance (10.95 ERA)
Bechtel tho, wasn't used.
Ryan and Collins were used and did badly. About a 65. ERA for their joint 90 innings or so.
The result of this was the same as my initial season (1871) with my substitute 3Bman, Ferguson picking up dozens of innings with a 79. ERA.

I wonder what my plan should be for next year. mallet

Further experimentation, I rekkon.

Other pet peeves - for anyone who cares to listen:
I wish that we could have fielding a factor like we had in 1871, it adds realism.
I wish that we did not have lots of .500+ hitters, its ridiculous (imo); and we finally got away from this last year with only four hitters over .400; it adds realism.
The better pitching configurations will be identified, eventho right now it seems more like we are dealing with a female rather than a computer program.
wave
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
1874 results are in Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 1001874 results are in Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

1874 results are in Empty Re: 1874 results are in

Post by sabrjay Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:55 pm

As noted in the main area for this discussion, the sim seems to generate an inordinate number of walks. Mathews only issued 533 his entire career, yet in our 1874 sim, he issued 522. For whatever reason, walks have been out of whack for the entire run of the NA.

Sean seems to be the only one that has figured out what the sim wants in a good team as he has never finiashed worse than 3rd

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
1874 results are in Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1001874 results are in Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRiddler Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:45 pm

My notes on the walks is that as the Sim sees a pitcher as tiring (which is at about 160 innings or so) the walks and ERA increase, sometimes substantially.
Which is why I've gone to a multi-pitcher approach - to minimize each pitcher's innings pitched, and thereby the walks - and it seems to have worked in that regard.
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
1874 results are in Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 1001874 results are in Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down