Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches

3 posters

Go down

Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Empty Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches

Post by terjung Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:41 pm

I just saw an article that cited Roy Halladay pitched a complete game shutout in 97 pitches. That seems pretty efficient since he averaged just over 3.5 pitches per out. He struck out 6, didn't walk anyone, and gave up 7 hits. I was surprised to see that he gave up 7 hits with so few pitches in that complete game. So, it got me thinking, what were the fewest number of pitches thrown in a complete game shutout by a single pitcher? Anyone?

The interesting thing to me is that the record did not occur during a "perfect game" and neither did the runner up.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Empty Re: Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches

Post by sabrjay Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:59 pm

LaMar Hoyt had I really low pitch count game in the 1980s. I want to say 79 pitches, which I think Johan Santana or someone else matched a few years ago

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Empty Re: Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches

Post by bowlingshoeguy Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Carlos Silva had a 73 pitch game for the Twins I believe.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:01 pm

According to the record books, Red Barrett of the Boston Braves needed only 58 pitches to throw a nine-inning complete game against the Reds on August 10, 1944 (2 hits and no walks). Granted, during the war the talent wasn't up to par, but it is still quite a feat. If that one doesn't float your boat, there was reportedly a nine-inning complete game thrown in 1915 using 67 pitches. Any idea who holds the silver medal in this category? (Addie Joss's 74 pitch perfect game was in 1908.)
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Roy Halladay's complete game shutout in 97 pitches Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down