Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Famous & Barr Commons

+8
Abravefan11
fisherboy7
cccc
nolemmings
mwieder
sabrjay
rhettyeakley
TheBig6
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty My Famous & Barr Commons

Post by TheBig6 Sun May 17, 2009 5:43 pm

My Famous & Barr Commons FbainsmithMy Famous & Barr Commons Fbflack
My Famous & Barr Commons FbgetzMy Famous & Barr Commons Fbhartzell
My Famous & Barr Commons FbherzogMy Famous & Barr Commons Fblobert
My Famous & Barr Commons FbmcbrideMy Famous & Barr Commons Fbpratt
My Famous & Barr Commons FbsullivanMy Famous & Barr Commons Fbvaughn
My Famous & Barr Commons Fbwilson
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty Re: My Famous & Barr Commons

Post by rhettyeakley Sun May 17, 2009 11:43 pm

My Famous & Barr Commons FamousbarrtoneyMy Famous & Barr Commons FamousbarrturnerMy Famous & Barr Commons FamousbarrschalkMy Famous & Barr Commons FamousbarrrothMy Famous & Barr Commons FamousbarrmillerMy Famous & Barr Commons M1014bairdpairMy Famous & Barr Commons M1015connolly

Jerry, here are my Famous & Barr's (The Baird w/ "3rd B." designation is believed to only be avaialable with the tough M101-4 Famous & Barr back).
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 12:21 am

my only F&B bananarama

My Famous & Barr Commons Thorpe
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 1:04 am

Nice F&B's guys
Jay, I didn't know your Thorpe was a F&B, great card
Rhett, 2 of the F&B;s I showed are scarce M101-4's the Ainsmith & Vaughn with the Vaughn being a really scarce High Number M101-4.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by mwieder Mon May 18, 2009 1:14 am

My Famous & Barr Commons Image-19My Famous & Barr Commons Image-14

mwieder
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue3 / 1003 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

http://picasaweb.google.com/mwieder/

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 am

Of the few Thorpe's I've seen over the years, the blank back is by far the most common. F&B is the only other back I have seen on Thorpe.

Anyone else seen Thorpe with a different back?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 am

I hope whoi ever got this card graded was using a gift certificate. I will cross it to SGC one of these days
My Famous & Barr Commons EdwalshMy Famous & Barr Commons 9edwalsh2
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty a few uncommons

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 2:50 am

My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1014bender
My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1015cicotte
My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1015maranville_FandB
My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1015weaver_fb
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cccc Mon May 18, 2009 2:59 am

some very nice F&B!! todd i guess ur bender and cicotte are altered since they're not slabbed...i'll give you $25 shipped to take them off your hand, email me your address and i'll send you a check . righton

p.s. i see some edge wear on bender's top border, you can throw in another common f&b and we're good.
cccc
cccc
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue15 / 10015 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty actually

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 3:06 am

I prefer PSA grading vouchers to cash. Laughing
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 3:53 am

Todd, are you saying the Walsh was yours at one time?
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by fisherboy7 Mon May 18, 2009 3:59 am

The answer to this is probably obvious, but I'll ask anyway: why is the color of the card stock much whiter on some of the F&B's than others?

Take the Baird cards in Rhett's scans, compared to all the others. The card stock is clearly quite a bit whiter. Is it because they're m101-4's and the others are all m101-5's?

My Famous & Barr Commons M1014bairdpair
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 4:08 am

Todd, can answer that better than I, but I will give it a shot.
Yes, Alot of times when their Lighter they are the scarcer M101-4 Versions. Also on alot of the M101-4 versions the backs are reversed with back text from top to bottom instead of bottom to top. But not always.
But some M101-5's F&B's are found on lighter stock, so the card stock is not always the determining factor. I think the reversed back text or card numbers (When applicable) are how to determine the much scarcier M101-4 F&B's. And the whiter card stock will follow suit.
Todd, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by TheBig6 on Mon May 18, 2009 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by rhettyeakley Mon May 18, 2009 4:16 am

Ben, it's not 100% but "Generally" M101-4 cards will be on the whiter stock and the M101-5's will be on the more brownish paper stock. However, there are M101-4's & 5's that don't fit that generalization, so the determining factor for determining which set they come from is the # on front.

Of course then there are the cards that are #ed the same in each set (including the Ruth, unfortunately) which can make it a bit more complicated.

Anyways, that is the Readers Digest version.
-Rhett

rhettyeakley
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
My Famous & Barr Commons Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100My Famous & Barr Commons Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 4:23 am

Rhett, what about the reversed text on the back?. Have you any M101-5's with reversed (Top to Bottom) Text.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty Hi guys

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 4:23 am

Jerry, I didn't own that Walsh before you--if I had, you wouldn't own it now. Smile I was just trying to negotiate with Quan after receiving his generous offer for my Bender and Cicotte.

Yes Ben, Jerry's right, the whiter stock appearance is owing to their being m101-4. As a general rule, m101-4s are whiter than m101-5 across the board, not just F&B, although this is not always true, and The Globe stores are often toned closer to m101-5.

By the way Rhett, I assume that Baird CF is not an F&B.

And yes, the text on the backs generally runs top to bottom on m101-4 F&Bs, and the opposite on m101-5. This is not true of high number m101-4 F&Bs, though, and I have seen one low number where this is not true--this Baird I won some months ago.
My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1014baird4
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty sorry to butt in

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 4:33 am

I know you asked Rhett, but if I may, yes Jerry, m101-5 F&Bs can have the back text run top to bottom. The ones I have seen seem to run in the card number 30s-40s range. Here are a couple:
My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1015connolly
My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1015coveleskie
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 4:39 am

Todd, dumb question without looking at your checklist, but how do you know the Baird is an M101-5. How is it different from the M101-4 version.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty Jerry

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 4:45 am

Baird is not an m101-5--he only appears in the m101-4 set. All Baird 3bs I have seen are F&B, and I've never seen an F&B Baird that was anything but 3b. I therefore assumed the Baird CF has some other back.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty one last point

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 am

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but m101-4 low numbered F&BS (they are found in card #s 1-20) all seem to have wide borders, noticeably so IMO. Not that others can't be just as wide, but I've never seen a skinny low number F&B. Makes me suspect they were cut from a different sized sheet.
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 4:50 am

I was talking about your Baird, but you answered my question anyway. He doesn't appear in m101-4 set.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty Oh

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 4:53 am

Baird appears in the m101-4 set only. I am lucky enough to have 2 F&Bs of him--the one I just posted and this one, with the text running the usual way for low numbered F&Bs:
My Famous & Barr Commons 16m1014baird
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 4:56 am

Todd, would you say that of all the M101-4/5 Backs, Famous & Barr would be a set one could complete. I wouldn't think you could complete any other backs besides Blank & SN.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

My Famous & Barr Commons Empty yes Jerry

Post by nolemmings Mon May 18, 2009 5:07 am

the F&Bs are the most common of the backs, not that they're all that common. I would think that the set could be completed, but it would be very, very difficult, costly and time consuming. You are looking at a Ruth rookie after all, plus a Thorpe, and Shoeless Joe won't be cheap either.

The quirky thing about it is that you would have a hybrid set--20 m101-4s and 180 m101-5s. Not that big a deal I suppose, especially since the first 7 cards are essentially identical. You'd get Bender instead of Bresnahan, and you'd miss out on Cobb, but it would be one awesome set. Thinking about going for it Jerry?
nolemmings
nolemmings
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Mon May 18, 2009 5:10 am

If I was 20yrs younger and had more disposable income, maybe. When your 60 you don't think long term much. (Insert smiley with a cane)

Furthermore, I haven't seen one F&B card for sale in months except for a couple HOFers with very, lets just say, overly optimistic BIN Prices.
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next