Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 outs in an inning

2 posters

Go down

4 outs in an inning Empty 4 outs in an inning

Post by sabrjay Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 am

The Dbacks had chance at a rare 4 out inning tonight but screwed up. He's the recap from the news wire to explain so I don't screw it up:

Follow along closely here, because it gets complicated: The Dodgers
were trailing 1-0 with one out in the second inning when the perfect
storm of baseball weirdness happened.With runners on second and third base, the Dodgers' Randy Wolf hit a line drive back to Arizona pitcher Dan Haren, who turned and threw toward second base in order to complete what should have been an inning-ending double play.Had infielder Felipe Lopez just stepped on second base, he would have doubled off Juan Pierre and that would have been it. Three outs, end of inning. Instead, he ignored the bag, took a few more steps and tagged Pierre.Meanwhile, the runner on third base, the aforementioned Ethier, ran toward home on contact and
actually touched the plate a split-second before Pierre was tagged, which umpires noticed. Doesn’t matter. The Dodgers are out. Right? Wrong.
From the LA Times:
"When it happened, [coach] Bob Schaefer said, 'That's the four-out play.' "
— Dodgers manager Joe Torre The what?Because Lopez, the player with the ball, moved to tag a runner and not the base itself, he more or less put Pierre in a rundown, which extended the life of the play, giving the other baserunner time to score.If the D-backs had appealed to umpires that Ethier had left third base early — which he had — then umps would have ruled it the fourth out of the inning
and the run would have been taken off the board. The D-backs never
appealed because they didn't think they needed to. The defense just
left the field after Pierre was tagged, incorrectly thinking that the
inning was over without the run at home counting. Got it? "They did get it right,” Melvin said of the umpires. "That is the call: If you tag the
runner at second, you have to go to appeal before you come off the field to get
the runner at third."
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
4 outs in an inning Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 1004 outs in an inning Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

4 outs in an inning Empty Re: 4 outs in an inning

Post by glenv Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:52 am

One of the most boneheaded plays I've ever seen in my life. I happened to be at the game. Didn't understand why the 2nd baseman didn't touch the base. He practically straddled 2nd base when he caught the ball, yet slowly took at least 10 steps to tag the runner. Even little leaguers wouldn't have done that. Probably some act to rub in a double play which backfired on him.

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
4 outs in an inning Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 1004 outs in an inning Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down