Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait?

2 posters

Go down

Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Empty Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait?

Post by aupt Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:19 pm

I recently had the distinct privilege of viewing what may be the only surviving complete set of 1898-1899 National Copper Plate Portraits (the forerunners of M101-1). The set was so nice that the Anson illustrated here is the worst of them (it's the only one with the string-binding holes torn).

As the guy who wrote the original listing for this set in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards (Page 240 of the 2009 edition), it's a bit embarassing to admit that there are some errors in the introductory paragraph.

I'm going to correct that by publishing a thorough study of the set in a forthcoming issue of SCD and on the SCD web site. I'll shamelessly tease that upcoming article by sharing one of the pix with you.

Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? NCPAnsonfs Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? NCPAnsonbs

aupt
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Empty Re: Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait?

Post by bowlingshoeguy Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Welcome to the board and thanks for the scan. I think I have seen maybe 5 of these for sale on ebay in the 8 1/2 years I have been on ebay. Now that you have teased us what type of information are you adding? new listings? distribution? How do you know this is a complete set, is there a published checklist from the company?

Looking forward to the information,

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Empty Just tweaking

Post by aupt Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:36 pm

Hello Lee,

My article won't add anything earthshaking such as new players, etc., just fine-tuning the available data. The set is complete at the 50 players checklisted in the Standard Catalog, although the M101-1 Sprting News premium versions issued a year or two later has 62 players.

The article will provide team checklists, some information on where the pictures originated and some fun notes on some of the players found in this set but not in any other career-contemporary issue.

aupt
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait? Empty Re: Ever seen a National Copper Plate Portrait?

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum