Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine

+3
dstudeba
fisherboy7
sabrjay
7 posters

Go down

Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Empty Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine

Post by sabrjay Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Anyone else see this?

Forbes Top 15

Not really sure how I feel about it. The top 3 are definitely right. Not sure about the rest. I'd be curious to see what the G&B Spaulding would bring in an auction. I'm not sure it would crack $100 though and I think it's overrated. I've never seen or heard of that Mantle card, which definitely doesn't belong on that list.

Jay

Last edited by sabrjay on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Empty Re: Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine

Post by fisherboy7 Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:44 pm

It seemed kind of rushed, but some good picks on that list. Not sure about the order either though. Still a cool article with some seldomly seen scans. I wonder where the Anson in uniform is though?

Anyone seen a Texas Tommy Cobb before? First time for me. Looks like this one has some majorly jumbo borders L/R:

Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Expens10

And I've seen a G&B Spaulding before, but didn't save the scan. So it was nice seeing it again (and saving the file this time). I don't disagree with it's placement on the latter half of the list:

Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Expens11

Thanks for posting the article Jay.

Last edited by fisherboy7 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Empty Re: Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine

Post by dstudeba Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:01 pm

The Mantle is an epic card, and it didn't strike me as out of place on the list. I think their criteria was in VG condition. There are only 5 or so of those I think, so condition wouldn't matter like it would on a 52 Topps Mantle. Leaving off any Old Judge issue seemed kind of silly, the last California N172 sold for 102K. Also there is a Gypsy Queen California League card that sold for $60,000 when T206 Wagners were selling for $50,000. I can't imagine what it would go for now.

However to debate it is silly. To me the list is so transparent when the author of the list sold the Peck & Snyder a little while ago for $70,000+ and doesn't mention it but mentions 3 Texas Tommys? A neat issue, but too obscure in my opinion to warrant 3 inclusions with no Old Judges.

dstudeba
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 pm

I didn't notice the Memory Lane connection. I wonder how many of those Texas Tommy cards are going to be appearing in their next auction?

I've never seen TT Cobb either. I do agree that Anson in uniform has to be on there. The Cal League cards probably wouldn't have been listed since it is not one particular card, but any card from that subset.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:48 pm

All the TX Tommy cards can be seen here.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e2/e224/e224.asp?cardsetID=768

I love TX Tommy cards, but they shouldn't be on that list. The last Wagner (PSA 4) sold for around $30k.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:57 pm

The dumbest thing is that the Just So Young and Mantle dice game card are valued the same. I also wouldn't pay more for the Spalding card than the Young card. It may be Spalding's only card, but it's Young's only known rookie card. I'll take Young over Spalding any day.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 am

The Texas Tommy cards look so out of place on that list. And the estimated for those cards are 2x to 3x more than their actual value. Memory Lane or one of the other auction houses who contributed to the article must have a large group in an upcoming auction.

I agree the N172 Anson in uniform should be near the top of the list.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by cmoking Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59 am

Just the fact they had a Top 15 baseball cards on Forbes is pretty cool to me.

cmoking
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:47 pm

sabrjay wrote: I also wouldn't pay more for the Spalding card than the Young card. It may be Spalding's only card, but it's Young's only known rookie card. I'll take Young over Spalding any day.

Jay

Although I do not care much for the tactics he employed in "winning" the National League's fight with the Player's League, Spauldings stats are arguably better than those of Young, and his contributions to the sport are norteworthy.
Specifically, although he did not win 500+ games, he didn't lose 300+ either. His winning pct. of .796 is unchallenged (253-65) - while also playing the infield and outfield and recording a .313 average in 2000 ABs.

Spaulding also effectively ended the NA by recruiting Deacon White, Ross Barnes, Cal McVey and Cap Anson for his White Stockings NL entry. He developed and produced the sports gloves and baseballs, wrote baseball's Official Rules Guide, published the (Spaulding) Baseball Guide, took major leaguer's on a world tour to spread appreciation for the sport (and his sporting goods), founded the commission to determine the real source of the game, after Chadwick contended that it was derived from Cricket and Rounders.

Strong player and historical figure to have missing from your baseball card collection. Cy Young cards are plentiful. G&Bs are uncommon; this one is particularly attractive from a collection perspective. I would much prefer the Spaulding.

yawn
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Top 15 cards according to Forbes magazine Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down