Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about great collections you've seen in person

2 posters

Go down

Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Empty Tell us about great collections you've seen in person

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:57 am

Living in the great white north, I haven't had many opportunities to view any "great" baseball card collections in person. So, I thought it might be interesting to hear about other people's experiences in doing so.

- Have you had a chance to view any collections which you thought were truly impressive?

- What kinds of cards/sets did you see?

- How were they stored?

- What kind of condition were they in?

- When/where/by whom were they collected?

Looking forward to hearing your stories Exclamation
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Empty Re: Tell us about great collections you've seen in person

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 pm

I've been lucky enough to view the collections of Mark Macrae, Dick Dobbins, John Spalding, Mike Montbriand and many other top collections.

I actually just got back from viewing an absolutely stunning collection of signed baseballs. I didnt think of bringing a camera, but the guy said that he'd take a picture of the one ball that really stood out in the collection.

His great gandfather used to travel the country with a theatre company from 1910s-40s. During his travels, he would get baseballs signed by players he liked when he attended games. Some balls were single signed, but most had 2 or 3 sigs. Among the sigs were Ruth and Gehrig on single signed balls, Dizzy and Daffy Dean on the same ball, Sam Crawford, a single signed Chief Bender (his favorite player according the guy that showed me the collection) and what I think is the most stunning ball in the collection that is signed by....

Home Run Baker and Christy Mathewson.
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Empty Re: Tell us about great collections you've seen in person

Post by sabrjay Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Brief synopsis of the Macrae collection. AMAZING!!! I was always terrified as hell looking at his cards. They are stored in mylar sleeves which he keep in albums used by stamp collectors. For those not familiar with them, they sit loose on a ledge. I was always scared that when I turned a page that cards would slip out and get damaged. Fortunately, this never happened.

the last time I was at his place I for to see his e-card collection. Prior to that, I never knew e-cards could be so clean and white. He also collects more than just cards. He has a lot of great panaramic stadium shots that are always great to look at. Then there is the massive collection of anything to do with the PCL.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Tell us about great collections you've seen in person Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down