Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eBay is alright, but .....

+2
TheRiddler
Potomac Yank
6 posters

Go down

eBay is alright, but ..... Empty eBay is alright, but .....

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:22 am

eBay is alright, but wouldn't it be nice if they had a little competition?

What are your thoughts?

Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
eBay is alright, but ..... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100eBay is alright, but ..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

eBay is alright, but ..... Empty Re: eBay is alright, but .....

Post by TheRiddler Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 pm

They are in competition with the continuous offerings of the auction houses, who cost the buyer more, but bring the perception of legitimizing the offered material before cataloging it. And offer many other features in exchange for their fee.

No, not for me. No more ebays. The one which we have is more than enuff for me. It is the no-frills venue, and
shooting wave
TheRiddler
TheRiddler
Custom
Custom

Trader Points :
eBay is alright, but ..... Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100eBay is alright, but ..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Yahoo tried, but they were joke. I'm amazed someone else doesn't try to get in on the auction - maybe Amazon. But do people want two different sites? I spend enough tough digging through listings on eBay - don't really want to do all the searches twice. Also, eBay has the customers. Sellers would potentially give away profit on a new site until enough people started visiting it.

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
eBay is alright, but ..... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100eBay is alright, but ..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:59 pm

First, let me apologize for originally posting this thread in the wrong area.
Like I mentioned before in a different thread, I've been away from the forum, and I'm getting the feel for the do's and don'ts.

Back to the video tape.

Riddler & Glenv, I hear what you're saying ... But:

The auction houses, and eBay ... are as different as cricket, or rounders is to baseball.
The eBay approach is becoming a monopoly, and there's nothing that checks a monopoly better than competition.

Also, I don't mind the tough extra digging of added listings.
As a matter of fact, that's kind of the way I did it back in the 1980's.
I found it easier to work on my T206 - T205 - T201 - T209-1 - T209-2 - T217 - and some other sets due to the fact that I was fortunate to work for an airline.
On a long weekend, I could hit shows like LA & SFO, or Chicago & STL, the Texas area, etc, etc, and some of these show's were made up of 600 to a 1000 tables. ... talk about tough digging of added listings.

As a collector that wants to fill an empty slot in the binder ... Give me all the listings you have! Smile

Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:09 pm

If you are strictly buyer, eBay isn't all the bad. It's as a small seller where eBay really truly sucks. This was their bread and butter when they started. No they have turned their backs on them and only worry about their best powersellers. It really isn't worth it for me anymore to list stuff eBay because they take a such a huge chunk of money from in the form of fees and now the required PayPal which strips more money from you.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
eBay is alright, but ..... Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100eBay is alright, but ..... Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Potomac Yank Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:46 pm

Jay babe, I agree with you 100 %.
That's what I mean about Monopoly, and changing the rules anyway they like.
Now , they're trying to screw around with the buyers.
They're telling us that they will only accept a certain form of payment.
Being that we (eBay) own Paypal ... we want to increase that cut of the action.
Jay, I've been paying by check since 1998, and I'll be damned if I'm going to change that. ... I put my sets together way before eBay, and I'll continue to do it without them.
During the 1980's, I never bought a card from Al Rosen.
My motto was ... "Whatever I can get from Rosen, I can get from anywhere else in the country, ... cheaper, and I did.
All the dealers that know me, know that I'm not going to change my form of payment.
If they want my bid, they know where i'm coming from. AND A GREAT MAJORITY AGREE. ... I'm not the only buyer that feels this way.
Again 'ol buddy, I agree with what you say.

Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

eBay is alright, but ..... Empty ebay-Paypal

Post by hrbaker Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:13 am

My experience so far with the pp-only rule is that most all sellers will take a check/MO if you simply ask them too. Heck many auctions still say it in the write up in the body of the auction. For most of the sellers the quickness is not worth the 3% especially for low risk buyers with high feedback.
hrbaker
hrbaker
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
eBay is alright, but ..... Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100eBay is alright, but ..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:19 am

It would be nice to have a more reasonable alternative, but we did get spoiled by the early lower fees. Ebay still offers millions of possible buyers and where else can you find that for a 10% fees. I would list more at these fees if they did not require the Paypal payment. Too me this is an in your face. I know if ebay opened the auctions up to check/money order as forms of payment that I would list a heck of alot more as is I think I have only listed 5 items since the policy was enacted.

I also like using Ebay to list items at a minimum i am comfortable with selling where auction house set the minimum to start the bidding and make the item sell, which is an excellant policy for a buyer and the auction house.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
eBay is alright, but ..... Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100eBay is alright, but ..... Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Potomac Yank Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:59 pm

HrBaker, you are so right about the overwhelming majority sellers comfort level with personal checks or MO's from low risk buyers.
I agree totally with what you recommend, checking with the seller about personal checks/MO's as a form of payment. ... I don't bid, if I don't check for a check. Smile
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee, you are on target Babe.

Not everyone is a Rolls Royce salesperson, or buyer.
It will cut into, or drive away the Mom & Pop stores, plus a good chunk of the Form of Payment Crowd.

If eBay proceeds to insist on fixing something that's not broken with the PP only rule, they will undermine the extra (gelt, wampam, peso's, dinerum) PP factor.
They will lose more than what they will gain! JMO

Joe P.

Potomac Yank
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down