Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grading a postcard

+3
r337man
fisherboy7
sabrjay
7 posters

Go down

Grading a postcard Empty Grading a postcard

Post by sabrjay Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Seeing the great postcard in the BST brought this to mind, should postcards be graded differently than regular baseball cards? Postcards were meant to be written, so why hammer the grade for the postcard being used as intended? Among postcard collectors, they generally only care if the card is postally used or not. Why not give a technical grade and then note on the flip used or unused?

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Grading a postcard Empty Re: Grading a postcard

Post by fisherboy7 Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:37 pm

sabrjay wrote:Among postcard collectors, they generally only care if the card is postally used or not.
That may be the case for some old school PC collectors, but personally I'd much prefer a PC with no writing on it at all. On the other hand, baseball related writing can be pretty cool, especially when it relates to a game or well known player.

sabrjay wrote:Why not give a technical grade and then note on the flip used or unused?
Nice suggestion Jay. That would make sense to me, but since when did the grading co's make logical changes to their labeling methods? I'm sure you're not holding your breath.
fisherboy7
fisherboy7
Admin
Admin

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue55 / 10055 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

http://www.imageevent.com/fisherboy7

Back to top Go down

Post by r337man Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 pm

I actually prefer a postcard that is postally used. That way it is already authenticated and not by some young guy who has no idea of what it is.
r337man
r337man
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:24 pm

I collect PC's and don't mind writing, but think the technical grade should be lower than a very similar PC w/o wiritng.

I also prefer that the grading companies use the same standards for cards and PC's. IMO, intent of the product is somewhat irrelevant when grading condition.
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by psacollector Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:09 pm

I don't have a porblem with the way PSA and SGC are currently grading postcards. Postally used postcards are great, but they should receive lower technical grades. Any card, including postcards, should grade no higher than SGC 1.5 or SGC 2 with extensive writing on the back.
psacollector
psacollector
All Star
All Star

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by glenv Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:18 am

Coupons were meant to be cut off cards and postcards were meant to be written on. If a Zeenut w/o coupon can have grades above 2, then used postcards certainly should...

glenv
FC NCAA Bracket Champ
FC NCAA Bracket Champ

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:50 am

so these should have the same grade?

Grading a postcard PC

Grading a postcard PC%202
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by terjung Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:37 am

You are in rare form today, Jeff.
terjung
terjung
Legend
Legend

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue8 / 1008 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:39 am

They can both receive the same technical grade, but if you use my suggestion, one would grade, let say, 8 UNUSED, the other 8 POSTALLY USED.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Grading a postcard Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Grading a postcard Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bicem Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:56 am

kinda like a PSA MK?

also, what if the postcard has writing, but is postally unused? I have one with just a bunch of player names and notes written on the back, not the intent of postcards, so should it be graded lower than one that was actually mailed?
Bicem
Bicem
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down