Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let the rat race begin

3 posters

Go down

Let the rat race begin Empty Let the rat race begin

Post by sabrjay Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:42 am

I just read that Joe Gordon got elected by the veterans pre-war committee. What a joke. I think of a bunch pre-war players that are far more deserving than Gordon. Tiernan, Dahlen, Mathews, Phillipe, just off the top of my head.

The race now begins to get his rookie card. What ever that might be.

The post war committee selcted no one again for the 4th straight time. No was close to the 48 votes needed. Kaat had the most with 39, Santo 38 and Oliva 33.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Let the rat race begin Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Let the rat race begin Right_bar_bleue

http://fullcountforum.com/

Back to top Go down

Let the rat race begin Empty Re: Let the rat race begin

Post by vintagechris Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:15 pm

The Hall really is starting to get watered down. Allie Reynolds was one vote shy of making it too! No disrespect to him but....

I just don't understand how Gordon gets in but someone like Gil Hodges doesn't. I also agree with you Jay, about Phillipe.

vintagechris
Minor Leaguer
Minor Leaguer

Trader Points :
Let the rat race begin Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Let the rat race begin Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:37 pm

Gordon isn't a really bad choice given who is already in the HOF, but there are a lot of players much more deserving that are not in yet.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :
Let the rat race begin Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100Let the rat race begin Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Let the rat race begin Empty Subject

Post by ItsOnlyGil Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:38 pm

For me, it was 1997 when the HOF lost all credibility. I no longer have any interest at all in what they do.
The problem which set this off for me is probably my own mistake, but I had had enough of them way before 1997.

In any case they declared Mike Piazza the catcher who achieved the highest single season average:
1997 28 LAD NL 152 556 104 201 32 1 40 124 5 1 69 77 .362

Now, I track records, in part because a focus of my card collection includes them. And it had been my impression that Babe Phelps, a catcher, came in second in batting to Waner in 1936 with a .367 average. How this is surpassed by a lower average would only be of interest if I had an iota of respect for the group who made the decision; but I do not.

Edited to add: this post was intended to be a part of Jay's rat race thread, but I got so pisssed thinking of what the Hall could have been, that I lost track of what I was doing (again). Smile

Last edited by ItsOnlyGil on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because I had to)
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
Let the rat race begin Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100Let the rat race begin Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrjay Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:09 pm

I think the reason that Piazza gets the nod is that Phelps did not reach the minimum plate appearances needed to qualify for the batting title. I'm not positive, but the think the requirement to be eligible for the batting title in Phelps day was different and not the 3.1 plate appearances per game that is required today.

Jay
sabrjay
sabrjay
Dunderhead
Dunderhead

Trader Points :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down