Full Count Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you slay "The Monster"

+2
crazylocomerk
t2069bk
6 posters

Go down

How do you slay "The Monster" Empty How do you slay "The Monster"

Post by t2069bk Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:28 pm

For all you T206 set collectors - how do you collect the set?

I've been all across the map:

-whatever card floats my boat
-alphabetical

I now have decided to do it by team: I am 6 cards short of the Cubs, Completed Jersey City, and missing the Iron Man from Newark. My next targets when these are complete will be Baltimore and Washington (unless I change my collecting style again)!

How do you do it- any suggestions to make the task easier/fun - not so daunting!!!!
t2069bk
t2069bk
Major Leaguer
Major Leaguer

Trader Points :
How do you slay "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue4 / 1004 / 100How do you slay "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

How do you slay "The Monster" Empty Re: How do you slay "The Monster"

Post by crazylocomerk Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:54 pm

When I was collecting this set, I initially decided to try and do it alphabetically, mainly because my first acquisition was Abbaticchio. I started OK, but I didn't have the patience. So I just started picking up commons as I could find them in PSA 3 condition. Then I finally decided to concentration on HOFers only. I got 70 cards in and then gave up. I have a few in my collection now as more of a type collection. I have the tougher St. Louis variations of Demmitt and O'Hara, I have some signed T206's, and I have a Drum and Uzit back. Oh and a PSA 6 McGraw.
crazylocomerk
crazylocomerk
KOTTON King
KOTTON King

Trader Points :
How do you slay "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue12 / 10012 / 100How do you slay "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Rivera cfc1909 Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:19 pm

I collect at least ten examples of each T206 back. I try to get at least one HOF example per back. About 37 different backs are already in my collection, and 33 of them include examples of HOF players. I have 39 if you count Type 1 Coupon and Red Cross as T206 backs.

I like to focus on the Baltimore players and collect as many combos as possible of those players.
Jim Rivera cfc1909
Jim Rivera cfc1909
MVP
MVP

Trader Points :
How do you slay "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue5 / 1005 / 100How do you slay "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by ItsOnlyGil Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:26 am

Its got to be by color!

Get all of the pink ones first. Then the blues are soo deep and nice.

Then one of the big ones - orange or red.

Shocked
ItsOnlyGil
ItsOnlyGil
Retired
Retired

Trader Points :
How do you slay "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue2 / 1002 / 100How do you slay "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBig6 Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 am

I'm slowly working of a Hof set with nothing under VG/EX. Less Wagner and Plank of Course
I may not live long enough to finish it. I'm about a third of the way there
Here they are

http://imageevent.com/ruckers/t206hofers;jsessionid=hr0qkr2s11.zebra_s
TheBig6
TheBig6
The Relic
The Relic

Trader Points :
How do you slay "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue27 / 10027 / 100How do you slay "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

http://imageevent.com/ruckers

Back to top Go down

Post by bowlingshoeguy Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:56 am

I started out just buying T206s when I had a chance, not many hit Minnesota in the 80's and early 90's. I managed to accumulate 80 with 10 HOFers and then stopped collecting for 8 years. On my return I started after Cubs players, started buying lots, and eventually tried collecting teams. As this went along I realized there might be an end in sight, my journey ended 4 years later with all but the Big 5.

I must give a thanks to John Dreker who graciously bought the last 2 cards I needed and sent them to me, a great gesture.

I have all the backs from DRUM on down. I have shifted my collecting T206s to Cycle 460 backs (currently at 61) and to get all my commons with backs other than Piedmont or Sweet Cap.

I think slaying the "Monster" is not possible you can just continue to wrestle with it. I belief there is around 5000 possible different variations of cards in the set.

Lee
bowlingshoeguy
bowlingshoeguy
Sultan of the Cycle Back
Sultan of the Cycle Back

Trader Points :
How do you slay "The Monster" Left_bar_bleue53 / 10053 / 100How do you slay "The Monster" Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down